ELI Registrar FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Contents:

General Questions

Scheduling Questions

Intention Form Questions

Enrollment Verification Letter Questions

Financial Guarantee Extension Letter Questions

Transcript Questions

Certificate Questions

Withdrawal Questions

Departure Form Questions

Travel Request Questions

Answers

General

• Do I need to use UDEL email?
    Yes. All students must create an account and use UDEL email. An email will be sent to the email address that you used in your ELI application, which will instruct you on how to set up your UDEL email. Help with setting up your account is available in the SALC, or by emailing eli-registrar@udel.edu. Instructions are also available in Chinese and Arabic.
  • What is UDSIS?
    UDSIS is the University of Delaware’s Student Information System. You will use this system to see your class schedule and to get a transcript. You need to create your UDEL email before you can access UDSIS.
  • What is Canvas?
    Canvas is the system that ELI teachers use to show you your grades and other information that your teacher wishes you to see for your course. All teachers and students must use Canvas. You need to create your UDEL email before you can use Canvas.
  • What is WebReg?
    WebReg is another name for the part of UDSIS that allows you to change your classes.
  • What is CAS?
    CAS stands for Central Authentication Service. This just means your username and password. Anytime you log in to a UD site, you will use your CAS credentials, which is the same as your UDEL email username and password.
  • What do the ELI UDSIS Academic Plans mean in UDSIS and WebReg?
    ACCUN = Accelerated University English Program (AUEP), Undergraduate
    ATINT = Academic Transitions Program Interest (AT), Language Levels 1-5, Undergraduate
    ATUG = Academic Transitions Program (AT), Undergraduate
    ACCGC = Conditional Admission Program (CAP), Graduate
    ACCGN = Accelerated University English Program (AUEP), Graduate
    FPUG = Intensive English Program (IEP), Full Program, Undergraduate
    FPGG = Intensive English Program (IEP), Full Program, Graduate
    LPUG = Intensive English Program (IEP), Limited Program, Undergraduate
    LPGG = Intensive English Program (IEP), Limited Program, Graduate
    PAT = Pre-Academic Transitions Program (PAT) Language Levels 5-6, Undergraduate
  • What do I do if I forgot my CAS password?
    You can try to recover your information using this page: https://udel.edu/preset
    If that doesn’t work, please contact eli-registrar@udel.edu or visit the SALC.
  • Text: ID 999999999 with red symbol indicating no

In UDSIS, if you see this, there is a service indicator (hold) on your account.

How do I check my UDSIS Service Indicators (holds)?
    Log in to UDSIS. Under Self Service > Student Center. At the top of the page, click the red symbol next to your UDID.

List of UDSIS Service Indicators and their meanings. Please contact eli-registrar@udel.edu for help with codes if needed.You then see what Service Indicators are on your account.
    a. BAL means that you need to see ELI Billing
    b. HS means that you have not checked in with ELI
    c. SHS means that you need to see Student Health Services
    d. REG means that you do not get a class change code because you did not submit an Intention Form by the deadline, or because you did not pick up your schedule on Opening Day.

Scheduling

• How can I see my schedule and change my classes?
    Until the end of the third day of a session (usually Wednesday), you can change your own classes online using UDSIS, the University of Delaware’s Student Information System, unless you do not have access to class changes.
    Students taking two courses must be enrolled in 1 Listening/Speaking and one Reading/Writing class. When using the UDSIS registration system, you will only be able to use the action “Swap”. Swap allows you to select a course to add, without losing your seat in your original class unless the add is successful.
    Get a step-by-step guide to seeing and changing your schedule (pdf)
  • Can you change my class for me?
  • Why can’t I change my classes?
    Students cannot change classes if they do not complete the online intention form before the deadline or they do not check in and clear all holds (for example, Billing hold, Student Health Services hold) before 11 a.m. on Opening Day.
    The Registrar’s Office will not change your classes for you, so please remember the deadlines!
  • What is the free drop/add deadline?
    If you withdraw from the ELI before 5 p.m. on the fifth day of the session (usually Friday of Week 1), you will not be charged for the session. You can find the withdrawal request form on the Student Forms page.
    This deadline is also very important if you want to transfer. Withdrawing is part of the transfer process. For more information about transferring, please contact OISS at oiss@udel.edu or visit their website: udel.edu/oiss/students/transferring_out.html.
  • Could you describe the differences between the classes?
    For course descriptions, please visit the ELI Online Course Catalog.
  • Why can’t I see my online schedule?
    If you have not checked in at Opening Day and cleared all of your holds (such as Billing, Student Health Services), you will not be able to see your online schedule.
  • UDSIS/WebReg is giving me errors. What do they mean?
    You may get errors if you:

• Drop a course without adding another. (Use swap for this, not drop.)
    • Try to drop below the required number of courses you need to be a full-time student. (Use swap to change classes.)
    • Try to add a class that is full.
    • Try to add a class that is not in your level, or that you do not have the prerequisites for.
    • Try to make class changes with a hold on your record.
    • The course is restricted from drop/add by the ELI administration.
  • What is a prerequisite?
    A prerequisite is something that you must do before you take another course. For example, you must pass a level 4 course before you can take a level 5 course.

Intention Forms

• What is an Intention Form? Do I need to do it?
    Your Intention Form tells the ELI about your plans for next session. (Will you stay? Will you leave and graduate? Which classes do you want?)
    All students must submit an intention form each session. Students on vacation and leave of absence must also complete an intention form.
    You have one week to do the Intention Form online. If you miss the deadline, you must still submit an online form, and you will not be able to change your classes.
    If you don’t do the online Intention Form, we will withdraw you from the ELI.
  • I’m going on vacation. Do I need to fill out an Intention Form?
    Yes, EVERY student needs to complete an Intention Form. If you are going on vacation, please indicate that you plan to stay, and choose at least one session following your vacation.
  • What if I change my mind about which classes I want to take?
    If the online Intention Form is still available, then just submit it again. Otherwise, send an email to eli-registrar@udel.edu.
  • On my Intention Form, I said I would leave and graduate, but now I want to continue to study at the ELI. What should I do?
    If the online Intention Form is still available, just do it again. If the online Intention Form has already closed, complete the Leaver to Stayer Intention Form.
  • On my Intention Form, I said I would continue to study at the ELI, but now I want to leave and graduate. What should I do?
    If the online Intention Form is still available, just do it again. If the online Intention form has already closed, fill out the Withdrawal Request Form.
    Then you will receive an email with a Departure Form to complete and return.
    Note: If you withdraw from the ELI before 5 p.m. on the fifth day of the session (usually Friday of Week 1), you will not be charged for the session.
  • I am not sure whether I will pass my class. Which level classes should I choose?
    Always assume that you will pass your class and advance to the next level when choosing your classes!
  • I want to stay, but I may decide later that I want to leave. Will I be charged for another session if I change my mind?
    If you are not sure, just say that you will stay. It is easy to change later. If you submit your withdrawal request before the drop/add deadline, you will receive a refund for the next session.
  • What is the difference between full program (FP), limited program (LP), full-time, and part-time?
    Full Program normally includes one Listening/Speaking course and one Reading/Writing course, plus tutoring. Students in the Academic Transitions program take university level content courses.
    Limited Program does not include tutoring.
    Full and Limited Program are not related to how many classes you are taking. (That is, Limited Program does not mean one class; it means no tutoring.)
    Note: All CAP, AT and sponsored students must choose Full Program and be a full-time student.
    Full-time students take two classes. If you have an F-1 visa, you must be a full-time student.
    Part-time students take only one class (with or without tutoring).
  • Can I take just one class?
    If you are here on a F-1 visa: no, you must take two classes in order to maintain your visa status. You will be enrolled in one Listening/Speaking class and one Reading/Writing class. Students in the Academic Transitions program may be enrolled in university content courses.
    Other visas: please email us at eli-registrar@udel.edu to check whether this is possible.

Enrollment Verification Letters

• What is an Enrollment Verification Letter?
    It is a letter from the Registrar’s Office. It shows that you are an ELI student. You can also use it to get a driver’s license. (You cannot use it to get a Financial Guarantee extension.)
    Students can choose what information to include in the letter: local address, dates of study, this session’s dates, dates of the break week, your classes, and/or your level.
  • How can I request an Enrollment Verification Letter?
    Please complete the Enrollment Verification Letter Request Form (this form).

Financial Guarantee Extension Letter

• What is a Financial Guarantee Extension Letter?
    It’s a letter that asks your sponsor (SACM, the Kuwaiti Embassy, etc.) to give you more time on your financial guarantee.
    When you ask the Registrar’s Office for this letter, you must say why you need more time and how many more sessions you need. (SACM does not accept preparing for the TOEFL, IELTS or GRE as a reason.)
    Your sponsor — not the ELI — will make the final decision about how much more time you can have.
  • How do I request a Financial Guarantee Extension letter?
    Please complete the Financial Guarantee Extension Letter Request form: https://apply.udel.edu/register/elifg
  • When should I request a Financial Guarantee Extension Letter?
    4 to 8 weeks before your current guarantee ends. (See the deadlines here.) The ELI can’t give you a letter earlier than that because we don’t know how you will do in your classes yet.
    It’s your responsibility to know when your Financial Guarantee ends and to ask for a letter before the deadlines.
  • How long will it take to get a Financial Guarantee Letter?
    Each session, there are two times that you can get a Financial Guarantee letter. See the deadlines here.
    Late requests have to wait for the next deadline. The ELI cannot give you a letter faster because you missed a deadline. Please plan ahead!
    The ELI will email your letter to you. (Please do not use Hotmail. Hotmail sometimes blocks our emails.) It is your responsibility to know when your Financial Guarantee ends and to ask for a letter before the deadline.

Transcripts

• What is a transcript?
    A transcript is a grade report. It shows the classes you took, your grades, and the dates you studied at the ELI.
  • How much is the fee for a transcript?
    Unofficial transcripts are free and you can access them anytime in your UDSIS Student Center. Official transcripts (printed on paper) are $5 each.
  • What is the difference between an official transcript and an unofficial transcript?
    An official transcript is printed on paper, has a university stamp/seal, and comes in a sealed envelope. It is often needed for university and job applications. Note: most universities will only consider a transcript official if we send it directly from our office to them.
    Unofficial transcripts are accessible in your UDSIS Student Center. Sponsors often ask for unofficial transcripts.
  • How can I request a transcript?
    Please complete the Transcript Request form.
  • How do I pay the fee for an official transcript?
    There are two ways that you can pay: Come to the ELI Cashier’s Window at 189 W. Main St (open Monday-Friday, 1-4 p.m.) or complete the Credit Card Authorization Form

1. Print the form
    2. Fill it out and sign it
    3. Scan it (or take a photo)
    4. Email it back to us at eli-registrar@udel.edu
  • I am a sponsored student. Can you send my transcript to my sponsor?
    The Registrar’s Office automatically sends transcripts to each of the following sponsors at the beginning of each session (during week 2):

• Saudi Arabia Cultural Mission (SACM)
    • KAUST Gifted Student Program
    • Embassy of Kuwait Cultural Division
    • Turkish Ministry of National Education
    • Embassy of Oman
    • Embassy of the UAE Cultural Division
    • UAE Police Attaché
    • Hadhramout Establishment for Human Development (HEHD)
    • Higher Committee for Educational Development in Iraq (HCED)
    • Embassy of the State of Qatar
    • COLFUTURO
    • Colombian Ministry of Defense
    • Kobe Shoin Women’s University
    • Hankuk University of Foreign Studies

Special programs are not listed here. If you are not sure whether your sponsor will receive a mailing, please feel free ask us via email at eli-registrar@udel.edu.

• Can I check my grades myself?
    You can see your grades via Canvas, or in your UDSIS Student Center.

Certificates

• What is a certificate?
    A certificate shows your dates of study at the ELI and your English level. See a sample here.
  • How do I get a certificate?
    Current Students:
    You will get a certificate at graduation. If you don’t go to graduation, you can tell us on your Departure Form how you want to get your certificate.
    Alumni (past students who already graduated):
    If you didn’t get a certificate at graduation or you need a new certificate, please fill out the certificate request form.
  • Can you send me a copy of my certificate by email?
    We’re sorry, but no. Certificates are printed on special paper, so we can’t email them. You can pick it up or we can mail it to you. However, we can send you an electronic unofficial transcript by email. You can request a transcript here.
  • How much do I have to pay for a certificate?
    Certificates are free. However, shipping is not always free. Here are your delivery options:

1. Pick it up at 189 West Main Street (free)
    2. Have a friend pick it up at 189 West Main St. (free)
    3. Delivered by US Mail to an address in the US (free)
    4. Delivered by FedEx Express Mail to an address in the US ($35)
    5. Delivered by Standard Airmail to an international address (free)
    6. Delivered by DHL Express Mail to an international address ($35)

For international shipments (especially to Middle Eastern countries), we highly recommend DHL Express Mail. (Packages sent by regular mail to these countries often get lost or take a very long time to arrive). We cannot track US mail (regular mail).

• If I choose express mail, how can I pay?
    There are several ways that you can pay:

• Complete the credit card authorization form. (On the form, write 0 for the ‘number of transcripts’.) The total cost is $35.
    • Pay at the ELI Cashier’s Window at 189 W. Main St. (open Monday-Friday, 1-4 p.m.).
    • Ask a friend to come to the ELI Cashier’s Window to pay for you. You must send an email to eli-registrar@udel.edu with the name of your friend and say that your friend has your permission to pay for you.

Withdrawal

• I want to leave the ELI. What do I need to do?
    If you want to leave at the end of the session, please use the Intention Form to tell us.
    But sometimes students need to leave the ELI early. If you want to leave before the end of the session, please do this:

1. Complete the Withdrawal Request form.
    2. Check with the ELI Finance Office (189 W. Main St. or elibilling@udel.edu) to be sure that you have paid all money owed to the ELI.
    3. Check your email. We usually answer withdrawal requests in 2-3 business days.
    4. Return all required forms to the ELI. When we email you, we will tell you about any additional forms that we need from you.
    5. When the ELI receives all of your forms, we will send them to the Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS).

Check with OISS (oiss@udel.edu) to see if they require anything else before leaving.

• Can I get my money back if I leave after classes have started?
    If you send us a withdrawal request during the first 5 days of the session (including Opening Day), you will receive a refund. The ELI must receive your withdrawal request by 5 p.m. of the fifth business day of the session (including Opening Day).
    For example, if Opening Day is on a Monday, then the ELI must receive your withdrawal request by Friday at 5 p.m. (Newark time). If Opening Day is on a Wednesday, then the ELI must receive your withdrawal request by the next Tuesday at 5 p.m.
    There are no refunds for withdrawal requests received after the first five days of the session (including Opening Day).
  • I am a CAP or AT student, and want to withdraw. What should I do?
    CAP and AT students must withdraw from both CAP/AT and the ELI. Here’s how to do that:

1. First, submit a regular withdrawal request: https://apply.udel.edu/register/eliwd
    2. Next, we will tell you to make an appointment with the CAP/AT Advisor to talk about what will happen when you withdraw from CAP/AT. If you decide that you still want to withdraw, the CAP/AT Advisor will complete a CAP/AT Withdrawal Form with you.
    3. When we receive the CAP/AT Withdrawal Form from the CAP/AT Advisor, we will send you a departure form to complete. Return this to us to complete your withdrawal.

Departure Form

• What is a Departure Form?
    When you tell us on your Intention Form or withdrawal request that you want to leave the ELI, we will send you a Departure Form. This form tells us where you are going, your home address, what we should do with your certificate, etc.
    You must complete and submit a Departure Form to receive a certificate or transfer to another school.
  • How can I submit my Departure Form?
    You may leave it at the front desk of 189 W. Main St, 108 E. Main St., or 318 S. College Ave. You may also take a good photo and email it to eli-registrar@udel.edu.

Travel Requests

• I want to leave the US during break week or over the holiday break. What do I need to do?
    Submit a travel request. The deadline to send us your request is the Friday before graduation. For more information about break week travel, please visit this page.
  • I want to stay in the US during break week. Do I need to send a travel request?
    No. If you are staying in the local area (for example, Newark or Wilmington, DE or Elkton, MD) or only traveling inside the US, you do not need to submit a travel request.
  • I have an F-1 visa. Can I take a vacation?
    If you have an F-1 visa, you need to study for four consecutive sessions (8 months in a row) before you can take a vacation. For more information about the vacation request process, please visit this page.
    If you can’t have a vacation but you still want to leave for one or two sessions, you can take a Leave of Absence (LOA). There are important things for you to know about LOAs. For more information about LOAs, please visit this page.
  • I have an F-1 visa. Can I take a vacation for two sessions?
    No, but you can take a Leave of Absence (LOA). There are important things for you to know about LOAs. For more information about LOAs, please visit this page.
  • Should I buy a plane ticket before I receive authorization to travel?
    No.
  • Who should I contact if I have questions about my immigration status or transfers to other schools?
    The Office for International Students and Scholars (OISS) can help you with these questions.
    OISS General Phone: 302-831-2115
    OISS Email: oiss@udel.edu
    Address: Elliot Hall, 26 East Main Street, Newark, DE 19716
  • If I ask for a vacation for this session after classes have started, can I get a refund?
    Yes, if we receive your vacation request during the first 5 days of the session (including Opening Day). The ELI must receive your vacation request by 5 p.m. of the fifth business day of the session (including Opening Day).
    For example, if Opening Day is on a Monday, then the ELI must receive your vacation request by Friday at 5 p.m. (Newark time). If Opening Day is on a Wednesday, then the ELI must receive your vacation request by the next Tuesday at midnight.
    There are no refunds for vacation requests received after the first five days of the session (including Opening Day).
  • If I need to take time off for medical reasons, what should I do?
    Request a medical leave of absence (MLOA) if you need to take time off from class because of a medical reason (e.g. giving birth, surgery, physical or mental illness). Please note: A normal pregnancy is not considered a reason for a medical leave.
    For more information about how to request a medical leave of absence, please visit this page: http://sites.udel.edu/csp/important/vac-travel/mloa/