MISSION AND VISION
The University of Delaware exists to cultivate learning, develop knowledge, and foster the free exchange of ideas. The University has a strong tradition of distinguished scholarship, research, teaching and service that is grounded in a commitment to increasing and disseminating scientific, humanistic, and social knowledge for the benefit of the larger society.
THE MISSION OF THE COMMUNICATION SCIENCES & DISORDERS PROGRAM:
- to prepare Master’s level Speech-Language Pathologists who:
- use a systematic and logical approach in their assessment and treatment of individuals with communication and swallowing disorders across the lifespan;
- base their decision making on research evidence; client values and beliefs, clinical expertise, ethical standards, and the constraints of the clinical setting; and
- possess the skills to deliver services effectively and efficiently.
- to advance the understanding of human communication and related disorders through faculty and student research activities.
We fulfill this mission by providing opportunities for learning the theoretical bases for clinical practice and the application of knowledge to clinical practice in a learning community that values diversity, advocates for life-long learning, promotes a culture of respect for others, and guides the development of professionals who provide competent and compassionate service to people with communication and swallowing disorders and their families through the lifespan in educational and health care settings.
THE MISSION OF THE COLLEGE OF HEALTH SCIENCES IS:
- to educate future leaders across a broad spectrum of health and clinically related professions through evidence-based didactic and experiential learning that enhances interdisciplinary understanding and inter-professional interactions;
- to foster interdisciplinary and translational research, with the objective of advancing understanding of chronic conditions and diseases and improving health and well-being of people; and
- to partner with organizations and institutions to synergistically leverage new opportunities for advancing health and healthcare practices and healthcare policies in the state and nation.
Our vision is to be nationally and internationally known as a hub of interdisciplinary research, education, and public outreach dedicated to advancing human health. Partnering in significant initiatives with other educational and medical institutions, government agencies, and private foundations, our researchers will further understanding of chronic diseases and pioneer the development of advanced treatments and rehabilitation protocols. We will be leaders in advocating interdisciplinary, team-based learning for students in experiential and discovery learning settings. We will synergistically unite all of these signature activities in an environment that will enable us to significantly advance the University’s Strategic Plan.