Communication Sciences & Disorders
The Tower at STAR
100 Discovery Boulevard, 532
Newark, DE 19713
- Language development
- Language disorders
Honors, Awards, and Major Professional Offices Held
- Editor, American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 2017-present
- Presidential Fellowship, University of Delaware, to attend the Salzburg Global Seminar on Education for Tomorrow’s World, 2017
- Certificate of Appreciation, in recognition of a significant contribution to the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association and to the professions of Speech-Language Pathology and Audiology, 2015
- Meritorious poster award, “A robust demonstration of the cognate facilitation effect in first language and second language naming”. The Annual Convention of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association, 2015
- Associate Editor, American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 2014-2016
- Visiting Professor, Shanghai Children’s Medical Center, 2014-present
- Shanghai Ministry of Education Key Project Grant, “Development of Practical Evaluation Tools for Shanghai Preschoolers”. Role: Co-PI, 2015-2018.
- Department of Education Training Grant, “Language Evaluation Appraisal and Development in Educational Research (LEADER)”. Role: Faculty Mentor, 2014-2019
- Faculty Research Assignment, College of Communication, the University of Texas-Austin, 2014-2015
- National Academy of Education/Spencer Postdoctoral Fellowship, “Lexical-semantic knowledge in Mandarin-English and Spanish-English bilingual children: A comparative study”. Role: PI, 2012-14
- Junior Faculty Fellowship, College of Communication, the University of Texas-Austin, 2009-2010
- Sheng, L., (2018). Typical and atypical lexical development. In A. Bar-On & D. Ravid (Ed.), Handbook of communication disorders: Theoretical, empirical, and applied linguistic perspectives (pp.101-116). Berlin, Boston: De Gruyter Mouton.
- Kastenbaum, J., Bedore, L., Peña, E., Sheng, L., Mavis, I., Sebastian-Vaytadden, R.,Rangamani, G., Vallila-Rohter, S., & Kiran, S. (2018). The influence of proficiency and language combination on bilingual lexical access. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition. Published online 7 May 2018.
- Hao, Y., Bedore, L., Sheng, L., & Peña, E.D. (2018). Narrative skills in two languages of Mandarin-English bilingual children. International Journal of Speech-Language Pathology. Published online 8 March 2018. DOI: 10.1080/17549507.2018.1444092
- Hao, Y., Sheng, L., Zhang, Y., Jiang, F., de Villiers, J., Lee, W., & Liu, X., A Narrative Evaluation in Mandarin-speaking Children with Language Impairment. (2018). Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. Published online 26 January 2018. doi:10.1044/2017_JSLHR-L-16-0367
- Guo, F., Zheng, L., & Sheng, L. (2018). The impact of family cultural capital on 5-6 year-old children’s vocabulary ability. Early Childhood Education, Issue 753-754, 77-81. [Chinese]
- Yang, J., Zheng, L., & Sheng, L. (2018). A comparison between adult and peer influence on preschoolers’ conversational skill development. Research in Preschool Education, Issue 277, 49-63. [Chinese]
- Yang, M., Cooc, N., & Sheng, L. (2017). Cross-linguistic transfer between Chinese and English: A meta-analysis. Asian-Pacific Journal of Second and Foreign Language Education.2:15. DOI 10.1186/s40862-017-0036-9
- Reetzke, R., Lam, B., Xie, Z., Sheng, L., Chandrasekaran, B. (2016). Effect of simultaneous bilingualism on speech intelligibility across different masker types, modalities, and signal-to-noise ratios in children. PLoS ONE, 11(12): e0168048. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0168048.
- Mann, W., Sheng, L., & Morgan, G. (2016). Lexical semantic organization in American Sign Language and English acquiring children: Evidence from a repeated meaning association task. Language Learning, 66, 872-899.
- Lam, B.P.W., & Sheng, L. (2016). The development of morphological awareness in young bilinguals: Effects of age and L1 background. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 59, 732-744.
- Sheng, L., Lam, B.P.W., Cruz, D., & Fulton, A. (2016). A robust demonstration of the cognate facilitation effect in first language and second language naming. Journal of Experimental Child Psychology, 141, 229-238. doi: 1016/j.jecp.2015.09.007
- Sheng, L., & Lam, B.P.W. (2015). Slot-filler and taxonomic organization: The role of contextual experience and maternal education. Journal of Educational and Developmental Psychology, 5, 128-138.
- Reetzke, R., Zou, X., Sheng, L, & Katsos, N. (2015). Communicative development in bilingually exposed children with Autism Spectrum Disorders. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 58, 813-825.
- Sheng, L., Byrd, C.T., McGregor, K.K., Zimmerman, H., & Bludau, K. (2015). List memory in young adults with language learning disability. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 58, 336-344.
- Byrd, C.T., Sheng, L., Ratner, N.B., Gkalitsiou, Z. (2015). Veridical and false recall in adults who stutter. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 58, 28-42.
- Hao, Y., Sheng, L., & Gao, L. (2014). Mandarin-speaking children’s pronoun interpretation. Journal of Child Language Acquisition and Development, 2 (6), 1-23.
- Sheng, L. (2014). Lexical-semantic skills in bilingual children who are becoming English-dominant: A longitudinal study. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 17, 556-571.
- Li, F., & Sheng, L. (2014). The development of semantic category knowledge in Mandarin-English bilingual children in the United States. Foreign Language Teaching and Research, 46, 89-102. [Chinese].
- Sheng, L., Lu, Y., & Gollan, T.H. (2014). Assessing language dominance in speakers of Mandarin-English: Convergence and divergence between subjective and objective measures. Bilingualism: Language and Cognition, 17, 364-383.
- Sheng, L. (2014). Semantic development in children with language impairments. In P. Brooks, V. Kempe, & J.G. Golson (Eds.), Encyclopedia of language development (pp.534-538). Thousand Oaks, CA: SAGE Publications, Inc.
- Sheng, L., Bedore, L.M., Peña, E.D., & Fiestas, C.E. (2013). Semantic development in Spanish-English bilingual children: Effects of age and language experience. Child Development, 84, 1034-1045.
- Sheng, L., Bedore, L.M., Peña, E.D., & Taliancich-Klinger, C. (2013). Semantic convergence in Spanish-English bilingual children with primary language impairment. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research, 56, 766-777.