The University of Delaware’s Center for Counseling and Student Development’s Doctoral Level Practicum in Psychology
The University of Delaware’s Center for Counseling & Student Development (CCSD) is seeking doctoral students in counseling or clinical psychology who are interested in a practicum experience working in a full service college counseling center. It is preferable for applicants to have had at least two semesters of supervised clinical experience as well as course work or background in counseling theories, multicultural theories, and ethics. Financial support is available to assist with parking/commuting expenses.
CCSD is dedicated to training high quality psychology practitioners. In addition to the practicum program, we have a post-doctoral fellowship and an APA accredited pre-doctoral internship.
Activities and Responsibilities
Practicum students are expected to spend two days each week at CCSD. In a standard week, practicum students will have 6-10 hours of individual counseling appointments, 3 hours of individual and group supervision, and 2-3 hours of administrative activities. A didactic seminar is held in the beginning of the fall and winter semesters. CCSD uses a time-limited treatment model and supports trainees in developing their skills in this modality. Practicum students are also encouraged to carry one client on a longer term basis in order to diversify their learning experiences. Videotape review of sessions is used in supervision.
Opportunities for career assessment and counseling, group therapy process observation, outreach activities, and initial consultations may also be available. Practicum students are invited to attend our weekly staff and case conference meetings as well as our professional development sessions.
Any questions about the practicum at CCSD or application process can be sent to the practicum coordinator, Jeremy Cohen, Ph.D. at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants should submit the following materials
- Cover Letter
- Transcripts from graduate work
- Two letters of reference (at least one from a clinical supervisor).
We follow the PENDELDOT uniform timeline for practicum applications.
Applications are due by January 16, 2018.
Materials can be emailed to email@example.com or can be sent to:
Jeremy S. Cohen, Ph.D.
Center for Counseling and Student Development
261 Perkins Student Center
University of Delaware
Newark, DE 19716
Application and Notification Process
- Our site follows the PENDELDOT Uniform Timeline for Practicum Applications followed by many programs in the Greater Philadelphia Area.
- Students may submit applications starting December 15, 2017.
- All applications are due by January 16, 2018.
- Interviews will be held between January 22 and February 23, 2018.
- Starting February 26, 2018 CCSD will send out the first round of emails to every candidate between 9 and 11 a.m. indicating whether we are extending an offer. Every candidate will hear either “yes,” “no,” or “you are still under consideration.”
- Applicants have a two-hour window in which to respond to the initial round of emails. The reply can be “yes,” “no,” or “hold.” Applicants are bound by the honor system and may only hold ONE offer at a time unless they plan to attend multiple practica.
- This process continues iteratively until all slots are filled.
- Trainees may contact a more preferred slot to see if they are still under consideration during this process. CCSD will let remaining applicants know when all of our slots have been filled and we are no longer taking people off the waitlist.
- Trainees must make their final decisions on the offers they are holding by 9 a.m. on February 27, 2018.
- All offers should be resolved by 9 a.m. on February 28, 2018.
- Phase II of the Match will begin at 10 a.m. on February 28, 2018.
- Trainees should apply to unfilled slots by 5 p.m. on March 6, 2018.
- Interviews and offers will be offered on a rolling basis for Phase II.