Frequently Asked Questions

Where are you located?

Our main office is in 261 Perkins Student Center, on the second floor. Use the steps and elevator located in the lobby area near the Information Desk. Our psychiatric services and some additional counselors are located on the second floor of Laurel Hall. The reception office is located in Room 209.

Do I need an appointment to see a counselor?

Yes, in most situations you will need to schedule an appointment to see a counselor.

How do I make an appointment?

For an initial appointment, call 302-831-2141 or stop by our office in Perkins Student Center.

What does it cost to use your services?

Our services are fully funded by the Student Health Fee, so we don’t charge any additional payment.

What are your office hours?

When the university is open, we are open Monday through Friday, 8:00 am until 5:00 pm. During Fall and Spring semesters, we are open until 6:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.

What if it’s an emergency and I can’t wait for an appointment?

If it’s an emergency, let one of the secretaries know, and you will be seen as soon as possible. Please keep in mind that we often see students who are very upset, and that by itself doesn’t constitute an emergency. But if you are at risk of hurting yourself or someone else, or aren’t able to cope with your daily life, please let us know so we can see you more promptly.

What if I need to talk to somebody at night or on the weekend?

When our office is closed, we are available only in case of emergency. If you do have an emergency situation, please don’t hesitate to contact our Helpline at 302-831-1001.

What kind of training does your staff have? Do you have students working at CCSD?

All of our senior staff have finished their degree programs. The psychologists have doctorate degrees, and the psychiatrists have M.D.’s. We also have several trainees on staff each year who have not yet completed their degrees. Our doctoral interns come to UD with considerable counseling experience. They have finished all requirements for their doctorates in psychology with the exception of the current internship (and possibly their dissertation). We also have practicum students who are counseling at UD as part of their doctoral degree programs at regional universities. No undergraduate students are counselors at CCSD.

I’m not a regular student. How do I know if I’m eligible for services?

If you have paid the student health fee for the current semester, you are eligible for services.

What if I want to take a career test?

We offer several different assessments that can be helpful in career exploration. If you’re interested, call 302-831-2141 to schedule an appointment to meet with a counselor to discuss the best approach for your situation.

What kinds of problems does CCSD deal with?

We help students with a variety of problems, ranging from concerns about career or academic progress to personal concerns. The counseling we offer is intended to be short-term. If you think you want or need longer term counseling, we could help you find a counselor in the community. We’d be happy to meet with you once to talk about whether and how we could help you.

How many students go to the counseling center?

Most years, we see about one in ten UD undergraduate and graduate students.

Is everything confidential? Can my parents or professors find out I’ve been to CCSD?

The records at CCSD are totally separate from the rest of your records at the university. For the most part, the fact that you have come to CCSD and what you have discussed here is confidential and will not be revealed to anyone outside of CCSD. There are rare exceptions, however. For example, if you tell us that a child is being abused or that you plan to seriously hurt yourself or someone else, we may have to tell others who are in a position to help ensure safety. We also sometimes work in conjunction with medical staff at Student Health Services when a student has medical concerns that relate to the counseling. These exceptions are detailed in the Rights and Responsibilities statement you will be given before your first appointment.

Is it true that you won’t see some students? My friend said you wouldn’t give him counseling and told him to see a private therapist.

We will meet with any student for an initial consultation. There are circumstances in which the counselor determines that an individual’s needs are beyond the scope of the services offered at CCSD. In these instances, we will offer a referral to other sources of help on or off campus.

What if I need medication?

We have psychiatric services for those who need medication. In most circumstances, we’ll ask you to have an initial consultation with one of the counselors, who will then refer you for psychiatric services if appropriate.

I think I might have a problem with drinking or substance use. Can you help with that?

Yes. We have counselors on staff who are happy to help students who have alcohol or drug related concerns. Often students also benefit from meeting with one of the counseling staff to discuss personal concerns that may relate to the substance use.

I am not White. Do you have counselors who can work with people from varying backgrounds and cultures?

Yes. Our counselors respect racial and cultural diversity and are trained to work with people from all cultures.

I do not identify as heterosexual. Do you have counselors who are familiar with gay, lesbian, bisexual, and questioning concerns?

Yes. Our counselors are trained to work with gay, lesbian, bisexual, and questioning clients. Our counselors respect sexual diversity and affirm gay, lesbian, bisexual, and questioning individuals.

Is there a limit to how long I can receive counseling at the Counseling Center?

Yes. Since we try to serve as many students as possible, we may limit the number of sessions you can be seen each year. You will need to discuss your counseling needs with your counselor.