Tell Your Story: Jessica Bryk, UD Communication Class of 2011

Everyone loves stories. Learning from others, gaining insight, and sneaking a peak into someone’s life is all a part of the fun in Communication! We learn from others, whether it be through a blog post, a Tweet, a photo, or a face-to-face conversation. We constantly tell our stories and today, Jessica Bryk, UD Communication alumna from the Class of 2011, shares her’s.

Interested in telling your story? Email our Independent Study student, Keri Betters, today: kbetters@udel.edu

———-

Jessica Bryk: BA, Communication 2011 (Minors: Advertising, Journalism)

What year did you graduate from the University of Delaware? December, 2011

Where are you currently employed?  

I am currently working as a freelance copywriter, under contract with a Wilmington, DE-based ad agency called Caspari McCormick.  I started working with them as an intern in February 2011, then began working there full-time after graduation.  In June of 2013, I approached my boss with a proposal that would allow me to move to Rhode Island and continue working for them as a contract copywriter.  Interestingly, the company has a number of clients in the New England area, so this worked out well for everyone.  But, my last day is actually this Friday and I will start work as a Marketing Coordinator at A/Z Corporation (North Stonington, CT) on Monday, March 24.

What are some of your every day responsibilities?

In my current position, I write, edit and proofread advertising copy for a variety of media.  One day I might be writing a technical brochure for Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, and the next I’ll be on a beach in Rhode Island helping to creative direct a commercial shoot for the Block Island Express Ferry.  Since Caspari McCormick is a small agency (6 full-time employees), I work very closely with the creative director.  Another big part of my job is proofreading proposals for prospective clients.

In my new job at A/Z Corporation, I will be working with the in-house marketing team, which will be a bit different.  The position will be more focused on editing proposals, with occasional event planning for trade shows and potentially writing copy for a new website.

What is one thing someone would be surprised to know about you?

As far as my career goes, people might be surprised to hear that I actually enjoy the more technical aspects, like proofreading and formatting. I’ve always considered myself a creative person, and while I do enjoy brainstorming and developing new ideas, it can get exhausting!  It’s hard to sit down and be expected to be funny or witty or insightful day after day.  Being able to bust out my red pen and look for typos – where there’s a definite right and wrong answer – is a nice break for me.

How did the University of Delaware prepare you for the workforce?

Probably the most influential part of my UD career was PRSSA.  I served as the Professional Development Director during my junior year – a position that put me in contact with alumni and local professionals.  I learned to plan large-scale networking events and that it’s completely okay (and encouraged!) to ask those who are successful in your field for advice. I also improved my professional writing skills in my ad/PR classes, learning to write news releases and proposals.

From one Blue Hen to another, do you have any advice for current COMM students?

Get involved in clubs outside of class!  Whether it’s PRSSA or the Blue Hen Marketing Club, some of the most marketable skills you will gain will come from actually getting hands-on.  And don’t just show up to the meetings – consider running for the executive board, or even see if you can do marketing or PR for your sorority or another club you’re interested in.

Check out Jessica’s portfolio: http://www.behance.net/jbryk

tell your story

——————–

‘Like’ The Department of Communication on Facebook

Celebrating 40 years as a Department.                                                                        Join the conversation with the hash-tag: #UDCOMM40