Happy Earth Month, Blue Hens!

On Friday, April 22, UD will join the world in celebrating Earth Day. This is my first year at UD, so I was excited to see what was in store for Earth Day events on campus. I quickly found that groups like the Climate Change Hub, Sustainability Council, DENIN, and the Student Sustainability Alliance were working hard to organize music, speakers, a clothes/book exchange, an electric vehicle event, and more in honor of Earth Day. There will also be an Environmental Involvement Fair where students can talk to and get involved with different organizations in Delaware. These groups include DE Sea Grant, Green New Deal Network, Delaware Interfaith Power and Light, and more. On top of that, members of the Sustainability Council will host a virtual panel discussion on Earth Day Eve—Thursday, April 21. Being a student representative in the council, I expect a great discussion for that event.

Here is a schedule you can follow for all Earth Month events. I included some hyperlinks you can click on for more information.

April 13 5-7:30 PM DENIN Environmental Research Symposium Clayton Hall
April 14 4-5 PM Sparks Lecture Zoom
April 18 & 20 7-9:30 PM Earth Day Movies w/ Faculty Panel Trabant Theater
April 21 4-5 PM Sustainability Council Panel discussion Zoom
April 22 12-3 PM Clothing/book swap Trabant 209-211
April 22 12-5 PM Involvement Fair, Moo-mobile, Electric Vehicles North Green
April 22 3:30 – 5 PM Earth Day Speaker Series North Green
April 23 1-3 PM Invasive Plant Removal White Clay Creek Meet at Judge Morris estate parking lot
April 30 10-3 PM UD’s AG Day South Campus, 531 South College Ave

Perhaps some of these events will stick for next year and the years after that. Starting these Green Traditions at UD creates a space for the students and the environment to celebrate the Earth and call for action. As a freshman, I can already see how passionate Blue Hens are about pressing environmental issues after speaking with students and seeing the many environmental RSOs we have. I look forward to these events and seeing all the passionate students around me in one unified voice for the environment.

Hope to see you there!