by Sarah Albrecht
Strawberries: they’re sweet, healthy, delicious… and the state fruit of Delaware? First, you’re probably wondering “Delaware has a state fruit?”, followed by “okay, but why is it a strawberry?”
As it turns out, strawberries are important to Delaware’s agricultural history and the best time to eat them is happening right now! Strawberries are only in season for a short period to time here in Delaware, so if you’re looking for a good strawberry fix this spring, you better act quick.
Lucky for us Blue Hens, our school is located in the heart of Newark, DE where there are plenty of restaurants and quick-service establishments ready to serve up some tasty strawberry dishes.
Below is a list of the top five places in Newark to satisfy your strawberry cravings:
- UDairy Creamery: With a location on south campus and the traveling, unmistakable Moo Mobile ice cream truck, there is no reason for any Blue Hen to not experience the magic that UDairy Creamery has to offer. Next time you’re on the hunt for strawberry ice cream, look no further than UDairy.
- Homegrown Cafe: Probably the most versatile option on this list, Homegrown Cafe’s bruschetta can be altered to meet any vegetarian or vegan needs. The small plate dish as is features strawberries, shallots, rosemary, balsamic reduction, and goat cheese on a toasted baguette.
- Viva Bowls: More than half of the menu at Viva Bowls features strawberries as a topping for their popular smoothie bowls. If you’re searching for a place with a variety of strawberry options, this is your answer.
- Taverna: Did someone say brunch? Taverna has a variety of sweet and savory brunch options, but when it comes to fresh strawberries, sweet is the way to go. Their tiramisu french toast with espresso crema, cocoa powder, and strawberries is a must try.
- Panera: If you happen to be looking for a sweet and savory combo, Panera is the place to go. Their salad menu features a strawberry chicken salad with poppyseed dressing that’s sure to suit your needs.
Though not all of these options are exactly the healthiest, it is important to include a variety of fruits, like strawberries, in your diet. Strawberries specifically are low in calories and an excellent source of fiber and vitamin C (1). Fiber is important for digestive health, while vitamin C helps keep your immune system healthy, amongst many other benefits.
Additionally, research shows that increased strawberry intake, as well as many other types of berries, show a strong correlation with a decreased risk of cardiovascular disease, hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and many other inflammatory diseases (2).
So there you have it, Blue Hens! There is no reason to not indulge in this juicy, red fruit. Not only are strawberries full of benefits to keep you healthy, but they can also be found on many menus throughout Main Street.
- United States Department of Agriculture. National nutrient database. USDA website. https://
ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list. Updated April 1, 2018. Accessed May 2, 2019.
- Afrin S, Gasparrini M, Forbes-Hernandez TY, et al. Promising health benefits of the
strawberry: a focus on clinical studies. J. Agric. Food Chem. 2016;64(22): 4435-4449. DOI