Canvas Assignments and Quizzes FAQ

On this page:

How do I customize due dates for an assignment?

Due dates and availability dates can be differentiated for the same assignment by adding assignment rules. This differentiation applies to any assignment where you apply a rule: assignments, quizzes, and discussions. Just make sure to +Add an assignment rule for the particular student(s).

If you are differentiating for one student but still providing a rule for the rest of the students, do not replace the existing rule or you will remove the assignment from all other students in the course.  For more help, review the Canvas guide, How do I assign an assignment to an individual student?

How do I randomize quiz questions in a Canvas quiz?

To randomize quiz questions, the questions must be in a question group.  You can include both questions and question groups in your quiz questions list.  If you want to add a question to a group, make sure to use the + option for the group and not the +New Question button at the bottom of the page.  But if you do create a new question by mistake that you want in the group, just drag and drop the question into the group.

For more information, review the Canvas guides,  How do I create a quiz with a question group to randomize quiz questions? and  How do I reorder questions or question groups in a quiz?

How do I give students extra time on timed quizzes?

In order to give students extra time on a timed quiz, you must moderate the quiz.  Make sure that your quiz is published to the see Moderate this Quiz option and use the Canvas guide Once I publish a timed quiz, how can I give my students extra time?  The Moderate this Quiz link is not displayed until the quiz is published.

Please note that is important that you also extend the availability dates/times to match the amount of extended time for students.  The available until date will always automatically submit the quiz regardless of time limits.  Use the Canvas guide, How do I assign an assignment to an individual student?, to add differentiated assignment rules.

Please watch this video if you need more information about moderating a Canvas quiz:

What quiz options are available to ensure quiz security?

Canvas has a number of quiz options and settings that can help you create a robust online exam.

• Various question types such as multiple choice, true/false, fill-in-the-blank, matching, and short answer/essay questions can be used to assess student comprehension.
      • Question groups can provide randomization of quiz questions and shuffling answers can randomize question response choices.
      • Timed quizzes can limit the amount of time students have to take the quiz.

For an overview of the Quizzes tool, view the Canvas Quizzes Overview video, and For an explanation of all quiz options, refer to the Canvas guide, What options can I set in a quiz?

The Canvas community has also provided a useful guide to help you better understand quiz settings to enhance quiz security, Quiz Settings to Maximize Security.

Visit

Virtual Faculty Commons via Zoom  | M-F 8:30 – 4:30

Call

(302) 831-0640

u

UD IT Support