New enhancements for the student assignment view will be available to enable in your 2021 Winter course starting December 18, 2020. These enhancements provide students with an updated interface and submission workflow, improving the student experience in completing and submitting assignments, viewing rubrics, and locating instructor feedback. The enhancements do not affect the instructor’s interface in the Assignments tool. If you choose to enable this feature, please advise your students and provide this student guide, How do I view an assignment in a course using Assignment Enhancements as a student?
The following enhancements are included:
- The assignment summary header is always visible when viewing the assignment and floats at the top of the page.
- The submission process is summarized in a status timeline at the top of the assignment.
- Assignment details can be minimized within the page.
- Submissions can be drafted in the assignment without requiring an immediate submission.
- History of the submission type, comments, and the assignment rubric (if any) are located in their own tabs.
- Submission types, comments, and any rubric grading is retained with each attempt and viewable by both the student and the instructor.
Please note that these interface changes do not support the following assignment types: No Submission, Group Assignments, Peer Reviews, and Cloud Assignments. For these types of assignments, the student view will automatically revert to the standard assignment view.
Enabling Student Assignment Enhancements
If you would like to enable the Student Assignment Enhancements in your course, you must enable the “Assignment Enhancements – Student” feature option in course Settings. Click the Feature Options tab.
Move the “Assignment Enhancements – Student” toggle to on. The toggle should turn green and display a checkmark.
If you have any questions about the changes or about how to use Canvas effectively, IT Academic Technology Services staff is always available at the Faculty Commons (116 Pearson Hall) or you can send your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.