Posted on January 29, 2021
GREENWOOD GARDENS SEASONAL GARDENER
Greenwood Gardens, a non-profit public garden and historic site, is seeking a Seasonal Gardener.
Greenwood Gardens is a historically significant 28-acre public garden and former private estate whose mission is to connect people with nature in a historic garden oasis. Incorporated as a non-profit and open to the public for free-roam visitation since 2013, Greenwood continues in its efforts to preserve and enhance its gardens, architecture, and landscape for the education and enjoyment of the public, guided by a seven-year Strategic Plan. Its terraced gardens, meadows, woodlands, grottoes and teahouses were designed in the early twentieth century by William W. Renwick. A time capsule of New Jersey’s gracious past and a haven of tranquility in the busy New York metropolitan area, the site’s original sweeping vistas have been preserved and extended on all sides by designated parkland.
The Seasonal Gardener will report to the Head of Horticulture and be an integral part of the Horticulture team. The Seasonal Gardener will participate in the establishment and maintenance of new perennial and shrub borders, a rain garden and other newly planted areas undergoing restoration. The Seasonal Gardener will be expected to work with volunteers and help with occasional events. Greenwood is a small organization – a positive attitude and good work ethic are essential.
- Perform horticultural tasks such as planting, weeding, mulching, pruning and watering of display beds, garden areas, and potted plants.
- Prune shrubs and small trees and shear hedges.
- The ideal candidate should be able to perform at the highest standards of garden maintenance and be able to demonstrate an understanding of the aesthetic presentation of plants and garden design.
- Two years of experience performing garden work in a public garden or other fine gardening work.
- Two years of formal horticultural training.
- Familiarity with local and ornamental plant species and keen plant identification skills a must.
- Ability to properly use shovels, rakes, digging forks, weed wrenches, hand shears and loppers to complete assigned tasks.
- Ability to follow instructions and to take initiative; ability to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Experience operating power equipment such as power garden vehicles, lawn mowers, weed trimmers and blowers a plus.
- Must be physically fit and able to lift at least 50lbs.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
HOURS AND COMPENSATION:
Compensation: $20.00 per hour. 37.5 hours per week. March – October/November.
Send cover letter or a short statement outlining professional objectives and a resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org with the header ‘Seasonal Gardener’.