Hello 4-H Families and Friends,
What a fabulous Ag Day 2018 and National 4-H Day of Service! The 4-H Tent was bustling with wonderful educational activities. Many enthusiastic 4-Hers assisted patrons and explained about their club work. Projects featured were animal science, embryology, entomology, horticulture, birds, backyard explorers, nutrition, healthy living, health prevention, virtual reality goggles, day camp and 4-H Afterschool. We would like to thank everyone involved, whether it be with club exhibits, promoting 4-H or staffing booths. It was a great day of service from many dedicated individuals.
Special thanks to Brenda and Denis Shaffer for leading and anchoring the food booth. Thank you to those who donated supplies and labor to ensure a profitable day. The funds raised support 4-H activities throughout the year as well as several camp scholarships.
Some other highlights this month:
- Hunter Willoughby, Summit Bridge, attended National 4-H Conference in Washington, D.C. along with nine other Delaware 4-H teens.
- Stump Corner 4-Hers, Elle Vandervort and Katie Campbell participated in the Kent County Clothing Showcase. See photo under club news.
- April 20-22 was a combined Jr. Leader Weekend and Younger Member overnight at Mallard Lodge in Smyrna, DE. Great leadership training, canoeing, a woodworking project and a campfire made for an educational and fun filled weekend.
- Several 4-H members attended the 14th Annual 4-H Legislative Day on April 25. This educational event was a great way for 4-Hers to learn about state government. Summit Bridge 4-Her, Andrew Shaffer who is the current State Teen Council President, spoke on the House of Representative Floor on behalf of Delaware 4-H.
- The 4-H Exchange Group is now selling Delaware State Fair Coupons book thru mid-June. The $10 book contains over $2400 worth of coupons for use at the 2018 Fair. Call the office or see an Exchange Group member to get one (or more) now!
Looking ahead, there is much to be excited about in the coming months. Check the calendars and blog posts to make sure you do not miss events and deadlines.
- May 7 – NCC Livestock Show Entries Due
- May 8 – NCC Links Meeting at NCC office
- May 12 – Demonstration Contest (Register by May 9)
- May 14 – Classroom Judging Training – Dairy, Horse and Poultry
- May 21 – Leader’s, Jr. Council, Exchange Group Meetings
- June 1 – Delaware State Fair entries close
Let us know if you have any questions or suggestions. We are here to help!
Yours in 4-H,
Betsy, Kaitlin and Serena