Portrait of Lindsay Marrione

Blue Hen Spotlight: Lindsay Marrione

August 05, 2020 Written by Esha Shah | Photos and artwork by Lindsay Marrione

Lindsay Marrione, class of 2022, is a Blue Hen hailing from Lynbrook, Long Island. She majors in English and has a minor in Advertising, while also spending most of her time being creative through art and dance. Read more about her UD story, passions, and perseverance in the story below! 

What would you say is your UD story? 

I knew that I would be going into college undecided. I also knew that I had many hobbies and activities that I wanted to continue beyond high school. UD gave me the privilege to explore my opportunities for the future, and to continue pursuing things that were already important parts of my past and present. In all honesty, I don’t know what type of career I want to pursue. However, I am putting in 110% to ensure that my time as a Blue Hen is put to good use. 

I can proudly say that I am actively involved with many groups and programs. In addition to working as an Illustrator for The Egg, I am further strengthening my abilities as an artist as a member of Art League where I have created pieces of work that I am proud of. I am also a dancer! I practice and perform with Delaware Repertoire Dance Company, and am Treasurer for the National Honor Society for Dance Arts. Finally, I have been involved with the Blue Hen Leadership Program since day one at school. 

I know that the college experience means something different for us all. I’m only half way through, but I have been working hard to find things that make every moment count. I believe that spending time doing things that put my skills to good use can make me happy. That’s exactly what I’ve been doing, and I plan to keep that going until the day I graduate and beyond.

What are your passions or aspirations, both academic and not? 

Growing up, I took part in many different activities. The two that stuck were dance and art. I started dancing when I was three, and I began to practice my art skills more vigorously in high school. To this day, I still am passionate about both. 

My favorite style of dance has always been ballet. In the past, I got into Joffrey Ballet School’s Pre Professional Program where I met dancers from all over the country and even other parts of the world. If I wanted to pursue dance as a career, however, you’d see me on stage at Radio City Music Hall as a Rockette! I love going into New York City to see them perform. I have been honored to practice with the Rockettes for two consecutive summers at their Summer Intensive, where I had the chance to learn and perform five of their routines!

As an artist, I mostly work in graphite pencil, but I also enjoy acrylic paint and watercolor. When I used to babysit, I liked to draw with the kids. The mother noticed that I had some art skills and asked if I would create some illustrations for a children’s book that she was in the beginning stages of writing. It was a great opportunity because it opened me up to the process of constructing and publishing books. This book is still in the process of being put together, but it will be exciting to have my work published!

Academically speaking, I was undeclared until about midway through my sophomore year. I chose to study English because I’ve always excelled in those classes and I love to read and write. It’s pretty common to hear things along the lines of, “what would you like to do with your English degree?” or “why study a language you already speak?” Quite frankly, I do not currently have a specific career path in mind. I have, however, been learning about so many occupations that I never even knew were options that studying English has made me eligible for! There are lots of great skills that come with understanding your own language, like critical and analytical thinking, evidence-based writing, the ability to logically organize ideas, and research. Mastering these will open me up to a diverse selection of exciting careers, and I can’t wait to find my own!

Describe your student involvement at UD

The Egg: I was looking for a campus job when I found the application for The Egg. I saw that I could have a job where I’d get to use my creative skills and eagerly sent in an application. Since I started working, I have collaborated with Student Center Programs and RSOs to design logos, icons, posters, illustrations, and more. As an artist of a more traditional background with lots of experience in drawing and painting, the digital approach was new to me, and I am proud to have learned new technological skills. My favorite project was an illustration for our own student blog, “By the Green!”

Art League: Formerly StuArt, this club was a great find for me because it was such a relaxing environment where I got to create any type of art I wanted to. In the past, we have volunteered to work at large school events such as UDance!

Blue Hen Leadership Program: I kicked off my freshman year with QUEST, which introduced me to BHLP, which introduced me to a growing list of useful skills, knowledge, and experience that I will use well into the future. As an incoming student, I had all of the usual nerves of moving into a huge, unfamiliar campus to complete the next milestone of life. My experience with BHLP was one of the first things that helped calm those nerves. I learned how to adjust, use school resources, meet people, and develop myself as a future professional. This past year, I got to work with a group of other BHLP members to build a partnership with local nonprofit Art Therapy Express. The experience took lots of hard work which ultimately paid off as we used our skills from various BHLP workshops to create a guide for a new Social Media Chair position for ATE. This past winter, I accompanied BHLP, as well as many students from the RSO People for Puerto Rico, on a service trip to Puerto Rico that focused on hurricane relief. We worked together for ten days to contribute to rainforest conservation efforts, beach cleanups, repairing damage on homes, and protecting native species. I will take my next steps in BHLP as a QUEST Peer Mentor this year, passing down knowledge and providing guidance to future Blue Hens.

Delaware Repertory Dance Company: I auditioned for a dance company, DRDC, at the beginning of my sophomore year. I wanted to continue taking classes, improving my skills, and have the opportunity to perform. As someone who began dancing at the age of three, it was important that I found a place where I can keep practicing, meet other dancers, and fuel a seventeen year long passion. With DRDC, I have worked in genres of dance such as ballet, tap, lyrical, contemporary and jazz.

National Honor Society for Dance Arts: NHSDA was the first stepping stone for my dancing days at UD. It introduced me to classes offered through the school, as well as the opportunity to perform in the Dance Minor Concert. It also led me to work with a choreographer from New York City, who crafted an eight minute number in just three rehearsals for myself and four other dancers. Finally, I also befriended other members who would eventually lead me to my dance company! I am currently entering my second year as treasurer for NHSDA, and I can’t wait to see what other opportunities are ahead.

What inspired you towards these passions? 

I believe that a passion is something that takes ambition and motivates hard work, and the results are something to take pride in. I also believe that a passion is something that can be driven by support. I am lucky to have grown up surrounded by people who always recognized when I developed an interest in something. Family, friends, and teachers would take those interests and turn them into hobbies, which, after lots of practice, would become talents that I am very proud of. However, I have to say that my parents have always been the ones that made my passions such huge parts of my life. 

As an artist, my parents were a huge source of support. They noticed that I would spend hours on art projects for school, and even more hours working on my own projects simply because I enjoyed the creative process. When I discovered that The Egg was offering a position for an Illustrator, I was motivated to apply because of them! They always remind me, “Just remember how much you love your art, and how happy you are when working on it.” 

My family has also pushed me towards opportunities to improve as a dancer. They gave me the courage to leave my comfort zone and take chances that I might have shied away from had they not been there for me. I was a shy kid growing up, but my parents knew that dance was a way of self expression for me, and urged me to go to auditions even if I was nervous to do so. 

What are you proud of having accomplished so far?

I am proud to have declared my major! For some students, this might be a simple choice, but I came into school quite unsure of what I wanted to study. About mid way through my sophomore year, I chose English because of my love for reading and writing. Also, because of my past academic success in this topic, it just felt like the right move for me. I have learned that this field of study provides students with lots of skills that open us up to many opportunities. I’m not sure what my next step will be, but for now I am focused on working hard in my classes, and broadening my skills.

How has your UD experience helped you grow? 

I have always been a rather reserved and soft spoken individual. That does not mean that I won’t voice an opinion or speak up for something that I care about. I used to think that having the characteristics of an introvert made it harder for me to be genuinely confident. I would get very nervous, or just shy away from things because I’d simply let them get to my head. I have grown in many ways over the past two years, but I think the most change can be seen in my overall attitude towards things. I have learned how to use my introversion as a strength rather than something that holds me back. I have found myself to be more enthusiastic about things that once scared me, such as preparing for and delivering presentations or speeches. I am also more enthusiastic about meeting new people. I am happy to have friends in my life with all sorts of interests and dynamic personalities, who have introduced me to all sorts of new things. Ultimately, my time as a Blue Hen has brought me into a community that helped me take my confidence to the next level. I have learned that you don’t need to change your personality to grow, but the way you choose to use it can make a huge difference.

What are some things you are actively involved with outside of UD? 

Swim Across America is a charity organization that raises money and awareness for cancer research facilities. I became aware of this organization after close members of my family were diagnosed with breast cancer, and received treatment at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York. I started contributing to this cause in 2010 with my younger brother Ryan at our local pool, for part of the event consists of a mile swim. Over the years I formed a team with several friends who helped us raise money. After going off to college, my brother has taken over the fundraising process. So far, we have raised roughly $15,000.00 for Swim Across America!’

Describe any challenges you have overcome

I was around ten years old when two very special people in my life were diagnosed with breast cancer. Now matter how old you are, that is never easy news to hear. However, I don’t think I let myself get too scared. I wanted to understand what was happening, so I learned a bit about the situation and what these people were going through. It made me feel better to know what their experience was like rather than blindly follow them through treatment. This process made me realize that knowledge is power, and learning about challenging things can make them feel less scary. Now, I am happy to say that both of these people have recovered, and their journey to good health has only made them, (and me,) stronger. 

Where do you see yourself next? 

Quite frankly, I don’t know what I’d like to do after graduation at this moment. I do believe that a lot can happen between then and now. These next two years will bring new insights and opportunities that could lead me to new passions and pursuits. Whatever I end up doing, I will make sure that I put a lot of care and hard work into it! 

What have you been doing during quarantine to keep busy? 

Knitting! Last winter, I went to a craft store to buy new paint supplies and came home with knitting needles and yarn instead, (I love a good impulse buy). I think I picked them up twice before I got frustrated. Flash forward one year and all of a sudden I was home from UD and no longer had my extra school related activities to keep me busy. That being said, with a fresh sense of motivation I dug out my knitting needles and yarn, pulled up some beginner level YouTube tutorials and made my first scarf, (which took a good month)! Now I have three scarves! It’s mid July but I’m already set for winter!

What is something you cannot go without either having or doing? 

I have one answer to this question, but it really has two meanings. I really love Nutella. Of course, one meaning has to do with the food. I always have a jar or two, (or three or four,) in my room and I’d be lying if I said that I don’t eat it straight from the container. The second meaning has to do with my dog. Nutella is also the name of my 10 year old mutt. She’s a basset-beagle hound mix, (or a bagel as I like to say.) She’s the perfect companion for walks and cuddling, and I definitely spoil her with a sufficient amount of extra treats and people food. 

What TV show are you binging right now? 

The Great British Baking Show 🙂 

First place you’re looking forward to going after things finally get back to normal? 

I got tickets to see The Music Man starring Hugh Jackman and Sutton Foster on Broadway for my birthday, but sadly Broadway is closed for a while. The show has been postponed for a year but that will give me something to look forward to! I am eager for Broadway to open up again and enjoy New York City in general.

This blog post is written by our Division of Student Life student intern Esha Shah.

Portrait of Lindsay Marrione
Graphite pencil drawing of a ballerina by Lindsay Marrione