Portrait of Jonte Desire

Blue Hen Spotlight: Jonte Desire

September 11, 2020 Written by Esha Shah | Photo courtesy of Jonte Desire

Jonte Desire is a Blue Hen hailing from Greenwood, Delaware. She majors in Neuroscience and Biological Sciences with a minor in Anthropology, while also spending most of her time heading a nonprofit and tending to her entrepreneurial spirit. Read more about her UD story, passions, and perseverance in the story below! 

What would you say is your UD story?

I initially didn’t want to come to UD since I’ve been in DE all my life but I searched hard and found some truly amazing people and resources here.

What are your passions or aspirations, both academic and not?  

Academic: Graduate having learned and retained the most information to best prepare me to go to medical school to become a pediatric neurosurgeon.

Nonacademic: Found my nonprofit, Native Nourishment, to make healthy food more accessible to Indigenous communities on the East Coast. Create a space/environment on campus where it’s more of a safe space for ALL UD students inside and outside of the classroom.

Describe your student involvement at UD

I’m fairly involved on campus running the Native American Student Alliance (N-A-S-A), singing in Golden Blues A Capella, and being in Tier 3 and starting a nonprofit in BHLP. I started BHLP through QUEST as an incoming freshman and honestly that has been and proves to be one of the best decisions I’ve made on campus, I met some amazing people in BHLP that I’m sure I’ll be friends with for a while who have amazing ambitions themselves and are an amazing support system.

What inspired you towards these passions?

I love kids, I think they’re funny for the most part and I enjoy how energetic they are and making them laugh, and I want to care for the little tiny humans who will eventually be leaders in our society. I was inspired to start my nonprofit after I visited the Northern Cheyenne in 2016 and came back and conducted research on food environments within Indigenous communities. I felt very driven to raise awareness of this issue in communities I was a part of, but also to support the Indigenous communities within DE itself.

What are you proud of having accomplished so far?

So far I’m proud of starting a website for my nonprofit, starting an RSO, but most importantly I’m proud of the perseverance I’ve learned throughout this entire journey. There were plenty of times where I was frustrated with how slow things were taking, or how often we ran into hurdles and couldn’t seem to get around it, but I’m proud of myself and my teammate, Amanda Mandatta for sticking with it, persevering and sharing a lot of laughs along the way.

How has your UD experience helped you grow?

My UD experience helped me grow the most by the people I found and surrounded myself with and programs I joined that I never knew existed. BHLP had a big part in me finding amazing friends that support my ambitions and push me to be my best. First Step helped me grow by giving my team and I a space to pitch our Native Nourishment idea and connecting me to financial and network resources. The National Association of Black Accountants provided me with a mentor who guided me with the financial aspects of running a nonprofit. I’m so grateful for the people I’ve met on this campus.

What are some things you are actively involved with outside of UD, specifically describe your non-profit startup?

So initially I started Native Nourishment as a junior in high school after I visited a tribe in Montana. When I came back from Montana I knew I wanted to do more to support Native tribes, so I created a project called Meals for Miles that supported Natives and raised awareness of food challenges within Native communities. Through Meals for Miles, I held two donation drives for the tribe I visited in the summer and raised awareness of my cause in my local community. Since then, I continued to develop my passion and a new name, Native Nourishment.

Describe any challenges you have overcome

Some challenges I had founding the nonprofit was finding was finding people who also believed in my vision to join my team, and although it did take us a while, I’m for the people who stuck with it and joined.

Where do you see yourself next?

After I establish my nonprofit, I see myself as a medical student, on my way to become a pediatric neurosurgeon, and using my income to put back into my nonprofit.

What have you been doing during quarantine to keep busy?

I have been painting, face timing my friends, and singing too loudly for my family members' comfort.

What is something you cannot go without either having or doing?

I can’t go without eating my fruit with honey and granola. My life has never been the same.

What TV show are you binging right now? 

I’ve been reliving my childhood watching The Proud Family, That’s So Raven and Wizards of Waverly Place on Disney Plus.

First place you’re looking forward to going after things finally get back to normal?

The Mitsitam Native Foods Cafe!

If there was a movie made about you, what would it be called?

It would be called Geranium, because it’s a flower that can still bloom in tough conditions.

This blog post is written by our Division of Student Life student intern Esha Shah.