What is the role of the Budget Office?

The University Budget Office develops annual and long-range University budgets and projections for the President and Board of Trustees’ approval and administers the budgets throughout the fiscal year.  We aim to provide a direct linkage between the University’s strategic plan and resource allocations and partner with various constituencies, both academic and non-academic, to ensure best practices in budget and financial management.

What is UD’s Fiscal Year?

UD’s fiscal year begins on July 1st and runs through June 30th.

What are the key deadlines in the budget process?

Look here for the Budget Office’s annual calendar.

How do I view my budget?

You can view your unit’s budget and actual transactions by using UDataGlance management reports.  Purpose code details can also be viewed by utilizing UDataGlance.  Training for UDataGlance can be found here.

How are one-time expenses funded?

One-time expenses are to be transacted against one-time funding sources, such as reserves.  Recurring annual budget allocations are meant to fund recurring expenses.

What is a budget revision, and who can process budget revisions?

Budget revisions are processed by the Budget Office and typically occur when:

    • A department moves as part of an organizational change.
    • Budget approvals are made by senior leadership after the budget has already been allocated.
    • Temporary budget revisions to align actual spend to equal budget are no longer supported.  Variances to budget should be noted as a year-end variance explanation.

What happens with roll-over funds (unspent budget dollars) at the end of the fiscal year?

  • Colleges’ unspent budget dollars will be rolled over to the colleges’ unrestricted reserve.  Colleges are expected to fund faculty start-ups with unrestricted fund balances.
  • Non-college unspent budget dollars will be rolled over to a central unrestricted reserve for reinvestment back into the University (see following FAQ for the exception).

What if a non-college unit would like to sequester unspent budget dollars for future years’ one-time expenses?

  • Non-college units that have one-time expenses (e.g., equipment or software purchases) can request approval from the Budget Office to retain unspent budget dollars in the unit’s unrestricted reserve by completing the UNIT YEAR-END FUNDING REQUEST FORM.
  • The form must be submitted no later than June 1st and must include detailed answers to each item on the form.  Incomplete submissions will cause delay in the approval process.

What happens if a unit overspends their budget allocation?

College and non-college units that overspend budget allocations are required to fund deficits using their existing fund balances.  If unit fund balances are insufficient, please contact your assigned budget analyst.

Can I use unspent budget dollars on new expenses?

Current year temporary savings can be used in the same year on temporary expenses; however, units must inform their assigned budget analyst via email of how temporary savings are being redeployed.  For example, current year salary savings due to attrition can be used to fund in-year temporary consulting needed to fill gaps in service.

Can I use unspent salary dollars on non-salary expenditures?

Current year temporary salary savings can be used in the same year on temporary one-time non-salary expenses only if the one-time expense does not have annual recurring fees; however, units must inform their assigned budget analyst via email of how temporary savings are being redeployed.

    • Example 1:  One-time expense for a software purchase will most likely have recurring licensing fees.  This is not an automatic approved use for unspent salary dollars.  All software purchases require pre-approval from VP for Information Technology and the Budget Office.
    • Example 2:  One-time expense for travel to a conference is an approved use for unspent salary dollars.

What if I need to create a new position that was not submitted during the annual budget cycle?

Request approval from the Budget Office, HR and the financial lead for your major org structure (Provost, EVP or President’s Office financial lead).

What if I need to hire a support position in my unit that has a centralized department dedicated to the type of support required?

  • Obtain recommendation from the Vice President of the centralized area before submitting a request to hire a position that has centralized functions.
    • The VP will evaluate the job description, determine if existing centralized resources can be redeployed, and make a recommendation regarding reporting structure.
  • Once VP recommendation is received, the unit requesting the position must request approval from the Budget Office, HR and the financial lead of your major org structure before submitting the request in the system.
  • Once all approvals are obtained, and to expedite processing, WebForm and TalentLink position submissions must include approval documentation in the comments/notes section.

How do I establish a new self-supporting (2-book) activity?

Please contact your budget analyst with information about the proposed 2-book activity.  You will also need to have cash collection procedures for your revenue-generating activity approved by Billing and Collections.

How do I set up a new purpose code?

Please contact your budget analyst to set up a new basic budget (1-book) or self-supporting budget (2-book) purpose code.  You will need to provide information on the acronym to be used, the type of Fund, the Program, as well as a list of approvers and viewers.

How do I set up a new department ID?

Please contact your budget analyst.

What are current tuition and fees?

Current tuition and fees can be found by accessing the following website –  https://www.udel.edu/students/student-financial-services/

What is the process for setting graduate tuition rates?

Please contact the Provost Office for a copy of the procedure.

How do I request changes to fee structures?

Fee structure changes are presented to the Finance Committee for approval during Spring Board of Trustee meetings.  Before presenting fee structure changes to the board, a complete analysis including benchmark data vs.  UD peers must be prepared and shared internally with President, Provost and EVP for approval.  In order to incorporate fee changes in the budget cycle and complete all internal reviews and communication before presenting to the board for approval, fee analyses must be submitted to the Budget and Provost Offices by October 1.  A link to the tuition and fees policy is below for reference.


What is the difference between restricted and unrestricted fund balances/reserves?

Refer here for a list of categories and levels of reserves.

What happens if a position or function is realigned from my department to another department?  Do I get to keep the budget dollars?

No.  If a position or function moves to another department, budget funding will be transferred by the Budget Office via a permanent budget revision to the area where the position or function now resides.