Rain annotated

“Rain” annotated

On this bleak hut, and solitude, and me/Remembering again that I shall die: “Rain” was written in January of 1916, in the middle of Thomas’ time spent fighting in the war. This line really gives you a glimpse into how Thomas was feeling during these times. Thomas is feeling lonely and hopeless, knowing full well that he will die, either on the battlefield, or later on down the road.

Blessed are the dead that the rain rains upon:/But here I pray that none whom once I loved/Is dying tonight or lying still awake/Solitary, listening to the rain, /Either in pain or thus in sympathy: In these lines, Thomas envies those who are dead and do not have to deal with the current hardships of war. On the other hand, he is hoping that those he cares about are not dying or lying awake, feeling as lonely and as helpless as he does, regardless of it being out of true pain or sympathy. Thomas’ chronic depression is very apparent here, but as you can see, he wishes there would be happiness, if not for him, then for those he has loved in his life.

Myriads: This word can either mean ten thousand, or a incredibly large number of objects. This gives the reader an image of thousands upon thousands of broken reed. Upon first reading it, it made me feel as though it was a battlefield covered in broken reed.

Back to “Rain”
Back to Edward Thomas