Jason Gleghorn, Ph.D.
5 Innovation Way
Suite 200, Room 134
Newark, DE 19711
Postdoctoral Fellow, Department of Chemical & Biological Engineering, Princeton University
Postdoctoral Fellow, Sibley School of Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, Cornell University
Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering, Cornell University
B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, WPI
Microfabrication-based approaches to regenerative medicine
Dynamics of multicellular systems
Mechanics and dynamics of morphogenesis
AREAS OF SPECIAL INTEREST
The Gleghorn Lab is an interdisciplinary research group that is focused on understanding how cells assemble into functional tissues. We develop and use microfluidic and microfabrication technologies to determine how cells behave and communicate within multicellular populations to form complex 3D tissues and organs. In particular, we use developing organs, microfabricated 3D organotypic culture models, quantitative analysis, and computational methods to investigate the biophysical forces and chemical signals that drive tissue growth, homeostasis, and disease. Our work integrates fundamental engineering, molecular, cell, and developmental biology, and materials science to delineate cellular behaviors and interactions at the cellular, tissue, and organ length scales. The long-term goals of this research are to develop techniques to engineer physiologically relevant 3D culture systems with well-defined structure, flows, and cell-cell interactions to study tissue-scale biology and disease. These techniques in combination with what we learn in our studies of the native cellular behaviors and interactions in the embryo will be used to define new therapeutic approaches for regenerative medicine.
If you have an interest in working at the interface of engineering, biology, and medicine to investigate cellular communication within developing organs and multicellular engineered systems, please contact Dr. Gleghorn for more information.
For a complete publication list, check Dr. Gleghorn’s google scholar.
- JP Gleghorn, VD Varner, E Miller, DC Radisky, HA Stone, CM Nelson. Lung development on a chip: transmural pressure is a master regulator of airway branching morphogenesis. in review.
- S. Manivannan, JP Gleghorn, JM Nestor, YG Kevrekidis, CM Nelson. Emergence of oscillatory rotational collective cell motility in bounded epithelial tissues. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, in revision.
- VD Varner, JP Gleghorn, E Miller, DC Radisky, CM Nelson. Mechanically patterning the embryonic airway epithelium. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, in press. (doi:10.1073/pnas.1504102112)
- Z Jakus, JP Gleghorn, D Enis, A Sen, D Rawnsley, Y Yang, P Hess, Z Zou, Minmin Lu, S Guttentag, CM Nelson, ML Kahn. (2014) Prenatal lymphatic function enables neonatal respiration through effects on lung compliance. Journal of Experimental Medicine, 211(5):815-26.
- JP Gleghorn, JP Smith, BJ Kirby. (2013) Transport and collision dynamics in periodic asymmetric obstacle arrays: rational design of microfluidic rare cell immunocapture devices. Physical Review E, 88(3):032136.
- JP Gleghorn, S Manivannan, CM Nelson. (2013) Quantitative approaches to uncover physical mechanisms of tissue morphogenesis. Current Opinion in Biotechnology, 24(5):954-961.
- E Boghaert, JP Gleghorn, KA Lee N Gjorevski, DC Radisky, CM Nelson. (2012) Host epithelial geometry regulates breast cancer cell invasiveness. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, 109(48): 19632-7.
- CM Nelson, JP Gleghorn. (2012) Sculpting organs: mechanical regulation of tissue development. Annual Review of Biomedical Engineering, 14:129-54.
- S Manivannan, JP Gleghorn, CM Nelson. (2012) Engineered tissues to quantify collective cell migration during morphogenesis. Methods in Molecular Biology, 886:173-82.
- JP Gleghorn, J Kwak, AL Pavlovich, CM Nelson. (2012) Inhibitory morphogens and monopodial branching of the embryonic chicken lung. Developmental Dynamics, 241(5):852-62.
- JP Gleghorn, ED Pratt, D Denning, H Liu, NH Bander, ST Tagawa, DM Nanus, PA Giannakakou, BJ Kirby. (2010) Capture of circulating tumor cells from whole blood of prostate cancer patients using geometrically enhanced differential immunocapture (GEDI) and a prostate-specific antibody. Lab on a Chip, 10(1):27-9.
- JP Gleghorn, ARC Jones, CR Flannery, LJ Bonassar. (2009) Boundary mode lubrication of articular cartilage by recombinant human lubricin. Journal of Orthopaedic Research, 27(6):771-7.
- JJ Ballyns, JP Gleghorn, V Niebrzydowski, JJ Rawlinson, H Potter, SA Maher, T Wright, LJ Bonassar. (2008) Image guided engineering of anatomically shaped implants via MRI and Micro-CT. Tissue Engineering Part A, 14(7):1195-202.
- JP Gleghorn, LJ Bonassar. (2008) Lubrication mode analysis of articular cartilage using Stribeck surfaces. Journal of Biomechanics, 41(9):1910-8.
- JP Gleghorn, CSD Lee, M Cabodi, AD Stroock, LJ Bonassar. (2008) Adhesive properties of laminated alginate gels for tissue engineering of layered structures. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A, 85(3):611-8.
- NW Choi, M Cabodi, B Held, JP Gleghorn, LJ Bonassar, AD Stroock. (2007) Microfluidic scaffold for three-dimensional cell culture. Nature Materials, 6(11):908-15.