WELCOME TO BHAN ADVISING!
UD Advisement Mission: Academic advising at the University of Delaware is a shared practice throughout the institution that is an integral part of teaching, mentoring and learning. Collaborative relationships among students, faculty advisors, and professional advisors support students’ development and achievement of their educational goals.
Our department is committed to upholding UD’s Advisement Mission by providing students access to academic advising that supports students’ academic progress and achievement of their goals. From orientation to graduation, we are here to guide our students on their educational path. Faculty and academic advisors can assist students with course selection, academic planning, understanding degree requirements, and solving registration issues. You are encouraged to visit your advisor at least once every semester, or whenever you need some help with your academic program.
Students are reminded that they are ultimately responsible for their own academic program and course load. Academic advising services should never replace individual student responsibility. Please review Advisor/Advisee Responsibilities at your convenience.
We want your academic career to be a success, so here are some tips to get you started:
- The faculty and advisors are here to help you with decision-making in issues such as choice of major and/or minor academic programs, course selection and sequencing, graduation requirements and career questions. Make good use of this relationship and meet with your advisor on a regular basis, especially before registration periods.
- Your suggested program of study is listed on the back of each checksheet. This is a suggested sequence of courses, dictated in part by pre-requisites and co-requisites. Consult with your advisor on any deviation from the program of study. In some cases, it may be difficult to get into a course that is not in your major or not designated for your class status.
- Always register at your appointed time in April and November. Do not delay, or you will have difficulty scheduling needed classes.
- Pay attention to prerequisites, which are listed on the on-line catalog.
- BHAN breadth requirements are different from those in other departments or colleges. Make sure when you select courses to fill the breadth requirements that you are looking at the BHAN list.
- You are responsible for informing your parents/family of your activities if you so desire. We are not permitted to discuss your situation with them due to the Buckley Amendment, unless you give your written permission in advance.
- When in doubt about issues related to academics, career, or graduation, ask your advisor.
- Read your e-mail once or twice a day.