Adam Davey, Ph. D., FAPA, FGSA
Behavioral Health & Nutrition
Adam Davey is a Professor of Behavioral Health and Nutrition and Graduate Director of Health Behavior Science Programs. He is also Affiliated Faculty for the Center for Bioinformatics and Computational Biology. Previously, he served as Associate Dean for Research in the College of Health Sciences. Prior to joining the University of Delaware, Dr. Davey was Professor and Founding Chair in Temple University’s Department of Epidemiology and Biostatistics within the College of Public Health and held a secondary appointment in the Center for Data Analytics and Biomedical Informatics in Temple’s College of Science and Technology. In addition to his substantive work described below, Davey also brings more than 20 years of experience with data management and analysis including latent variable mixture models and bioinformatics. He successfully headed the Data Management and Analysis Core of “A Population-Based Study of Centenarians” (P01 AG017553), the Statistics Core of “Prevention Programs for Rural African-American Families” (P20 MH068666), and served as Project Statistician for the Maine-Syracuse Longitudinal Study (R01 HL081290, Elias, PI) among many other projects and clinical trials.
BHAN 867: Multivariable Biostatistics
- Davey, A. (Principal Investigator). (2016-2022). African American families fighting parental cancer together. National Institutes of Health (R01CA194178).
- Fisher, J. O., & Davey, A. (Co-Investigator) (2016-2018). Snacking behaviors among U.S. preschoolers. National Institutes of Health (R21HD085137).
- Merwin, E. I., Hauenstein, E. J., & Davey, A. (Co-Investigator). (2016-2019). Reducing health disparities in SMI, rural and minority populations. National Institutes of Health (R01MD010354).
Selected Recent Publications
- Elias, M. F., Torres, R. V., & Davey, A. (in press). Clinical trials of blood pressure lowering and antihypertensive medication: Is cognitive measurement state-of-the-art? American Journal of Hypertension.
- Kachurak, A., Davey, A., & Fisher, J. O. (in press). Daily snacking occasions and weight status among U.S. children aged 1-5 y. Obesity.
- Patterson, F., Grandner, M. A., Malone, S. K., Rizzo, A., Davey, A., & Edwards, D. G. (in press). Sleep as a target for optimized response to smoking cessation treatment. Nicotine and Tobacco Research.
- Collins, B. N., Lepore, S. J., Winickoff, J. P., Nair, U. S., Moughan, B., Bryant-Stephens, T., Davey, A., Taylor, D., Fleece, D., & Godfrey, M. (2018). An office-initiated multilevel intervention for tobacco smoke exposure: A randomized trial. Pediatrics, 141, S75-S85.
- Elias, M. F., Torres, R. V., & Davey, A. (2018). Parameters of left ventricular mass and dementia: Moving the literature forward. Hypertension, 71, 411-412.
- Martinez, O., Fernandez, I., Wu, E., Carballo-Diéguez, A., Prado, G., Davey, A., Levine, E., Mattera, B., Lopez, N., Valentin, O., Murray, A., & Sutton, M. (2018). A couple-based HIV prevention intervention for Latino men who have sex with men: study protocol for a randomized controlled trial. Trials, 19, 218-229.
- Rudy, E., Bauer, K. W., Hughes, S. O., O’Connor, T., Vollrath, K., Davey, A., Correa, N. E. M., Chen, T.-A., & Fisher, J. O. (2018). Interrelationships of child appetite, weight, and snacking among Hispanic. Pediatric Obesity, 13, 38-45.
- Elias, M. F., Torres, R. V., & Davey, A. (2017). Intensive blood pressure control improves cognitive performance: pushing the envelope cum judicia., American journal of hypertension 30, 556-558
- Elias, M. F., Torres, R. V., & Davey, A. (2017). Albuminuria and cognitive performance: New evidence for consideration of a risk factor precursor model from the Maastricht study. American Journal of Kidney Diseases, 69, 163-165.
- Hart, C. N., Hawley, N., Davey, A., Carskadon, M., Raynor, H., Jelalian, E., Owens, J., Considine, R., & Wing, R. R. (2017). Effect of experimental change in children’s sleep duration on television viewing and physical activity. International Journal of Pediatric Obesity, 12, 462-467.
- Herring, S. J., Cruice, J. F., Bennett, G. G., Darden, N., Wallen, J. J., Rose, M. Z., Davey, A., & Foster, G. D. (2017). Intervening during and after pregnancy to prevent weight retention among African American women. Preventive Medicine Reports, 7, 119-123.
- Polonsky, H. M., Davey, A., Bauer, K. W., Foster, G. D., Sherman, S., Abel, M. L., Dale, L. C., & Fisher, J. O. (2017). Breakfast Quality Varies by Location among Low-Income Ethnically Diverse Children in Public Urban Schools. Journal of nutrition education and behavior, 50, 190-197.
- Torres, R. V., Elias, M. F., Crichton, G. E., Dore, G., & Davey, A. (2017). Systolic orthostatic hypotension is related to lowered cognitive function: Findings from the Maine-Syracuse Longitudinal Study. Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 19, 1357-1365.
Selected Past Projects
- Pomeranz, J. L., & Davey, A. (Co-Investigator) (2014-2015). Mapping state laws governing workplace wellness programs to examine different hypotheses and inform policymakers of promising approaches. Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.
- Collins, B. N., et al. (Co-Investigator) (2012-2017). Pediatrician advice, family counseling, and second-hand smoke reduction for underserved children. National Institutes of Health (R01CA158361).
- Foster, G. D., et al. (Co-Investigator). (2012-2018). Breakfast consumption and childhood obesity among low income, ethnically diverse youth. United States Department of Agriculture (PENR-2011-04489).
- Hart, C. N., et al. (Co-Investigator). (2014-2016). Enhancing sleep duration: Effects on children’s eating and activity behaviors. National Institutes of Health (R01HL092910).
- Herring, S., et al. (Co-Investigator). (2012-2015). The influence of postpartum sleep duration on adiposity and cardiometabolic risk factors in urban, low-income mothers. Doris Duke Charitable Foundation.
- Fisher, J. O., et al. (Co-Investigator). (2011-2018). Reducing solid fat and added sugar intakes in low-income preschoolers through environmental and behavioral portion size strategies. United States Department of Agriculture (PENR-2010-04643).
- Lepore, S. J., et al. (Co-Investigator). (2011-2013). A novel prosocial online support group for distressed breast cancer survivors. National Cancer Institute (R21CA158877).