UD Capture / Lightboard Studio
The Lightboard is a glass “chalkboard” filled with light that you write on with special markers. It’s for recording video lecture topics. You face toward your viewers, and your writing glows in front of you.
The UD Capture Lightboard Studio offers faculty the ability to create high quality, compelling recordings of themselves delivering content by writing “in the air” while on camera. The experience is almost the same as writing on a chalk board but your back is never to the camera. You can always maintain your presence on camera along with the ability to point and refer to material already on the screen.
In addition, you can overlay PowerPoint slides with text and graphics and annotate on them in real time.
How it works
The Lightboard is between you and the camera. You write normally on the glass to deliver your lecture content. The image of your writing is automatically flipped to be legible to the camera. No need to learn how to write backwards! Foot pedal controls give you the flexibility to start and stop the recording as well as switch to your computer to show Power Point slides. Everything is recorded in real time without the need for editing or post production so your time is well spent. Staff are always ready to assist you.
- Plan to wear dark (not black) clothing so your writing will stand out better.
- It may be helpful to practice on a piece of paper the location of yourself in relation to your writing (left or right).
- Create a single PowerPoint image to use as a title screen for your presentation. It should list the topic, your name and title along with your college and department. You can begin your recording with this slide in real time.
- If using PowerPoint slides for the first time, plan extra time to practice.
- If using PowerPoint overlays, plan a location for yourself on screen so the slide isn’t on top of you.
Location and hours
The UD Capture Lightboard studio is located in the Faculty Commons (Pearson 116). You can be schedule a recording session Monday through Friday 8:30am to 4:30pm, depending on availability.
Schedule a time
To schedule a time to use the Lightboard for recording course content or for a demonstration of the capabilities, please visit or contact us at the Faculty Commons at 302-831-0640.
This demonstration video features three University of Delaware faculty using the Lightboard to record short lecture videos.
UD Custom Light Mounts
The UD IT-ATS team devised a way to use off the shelf LED lighting bars with the Lightboard to light the talent being recorded. We used four readily available LED Shop Lights from Home Depot and mounted them to the Lightboard using a custom designed 3D printed bracket that attaches to the 80/20 aluminum channel. For best strength, print the light mount with 100% infill. A parts list is below.
- UDel Lightboard LED Bar Light Mount for top and sides [.STL, 43k]
- UDel-Lightboard LED Bar Light Bottom Mount [.STL, 157k]
- LED Shop Light ($30) x 4
- M8 Thread T-Slot Aluminum Drop In T-Nuts
- M8x20 Hex Socket Screws