Resources for Students
Respondus LockDown Browser is a locked browser for taking quizzes in Canvas. It prevents you from printing, copying, going to another URL, or accessing other applications during an assessment. If a Canvas quiz requires that LockDown Browser be used, you will not be able to take the quiz with a standard web browser. Respondus Monitor can also use your webcam to record you during an online exam for your instructor review later.
LockDown Browser should only be used for taking Canvas quizzes. It should not be used in other areas of Canvas.
If your instructor has advised that you’ll be taking quizzes, tests, or exams using Respondus LockDown Browser, it’s important to download, install, and test well in advance of your first assessment.
- Download and install Respondus LockDown Browser on your computer. Important! If you’ve used LockDown Browser at another institution, you must still download and replace with the version available here as it is customized for the University of Delaware.
- Watch a 2 minute Introduction to Respondus LockDown Browser for Students
- View the Student Quick Start Guide for using Respondus LockDown Browser
- My quiz uses Canvas Classic Quizzes. Important! LockDown Browser will not automatically launch if your quiz uses the Classic Quiz type in Canvas. You will need to open LockDown Browser manually and navigate to the quiz.
- My quiz uses Canvas New Quizzes. The New Quiz type allows you to automatically open LockDown Browser when it’s time to take a quiz.
- Most instructors use Canvas Classic Quizzes. Unsure which one? Ask your instructor.
- Verify your system requirements
- Operating System: Windows 10, 8, 7; MacOS 10.12 or higher.
- iPad support for iOS 11.0+ is available if you instructor chooses enable it.
- Chromebook support is in beta and requires your instructor to enable it for each quiz or exam. You must contact your instructor if you plan to use a Chromebook. To install Respondus LockDown Browser on your Chromebook, follow these steps.
- Log into the Chromebook start Google Chrome
- Log into Canvas and navigate to the exam (or practice exam if provided) that requires LockDown Browser
- Select the link for downloading and installing LockDown Browser
- From the Chrome web store, select “Add to Chrome” to install the LockDown Browser Extension
- Note: during the beta, this extension will only work with quizzes an instructor has enabled for use with LockDown Browser for Chromebook
- If Respondus Monitor is enabled by your instructor, you will also need:
- A web camera (built-in or external) & microphone
- A broadband internet connection
- Although LockDown Browser is based on Google Chromium, students do not need Google Chrome installed, nor will LockDown Browser affect Google Chrome if already installed.
Having Trouble Meeting the Requirements?
- Important! First, please contact your instructor to confirm the alternatives below meet their testing requirements well in advance of your test.
- Respondus LockDown Browser is installed on select computers in the Newark campus:
- An iPad can be used with LockDown Browser and Monitor if your instructor enables support for it in the quiz.
- Your instructor should have a practice quiz available in your Canvas course to test your computer with Respondus LockDown Browser installed. This will allow you to verify everything is working before your first test. Be sure to use the same computer you used for the practice quiz.
- Learn how to troubleshoot certain issues with using a Mac with LockDown Browser.
- If you are experiencing issues, you can use the following to assist you.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- While taking a quiz with an image, the image fails to load. What do I do?
- You can use the refresh/reload icon at the top of the Respondus LockDown Browser to reload the page. Your quiz should resume at the last question.
- While taking a quiz, LockDown Browser freezes and I can’t exit. What do I do?
- If LockDown Browser freezes during your quiz or exam, you can follow these suggestions from Respondus.
- I’m attempting to take my quiz and it says “Respondus LockDown Browser Required” but nothing happens. What do I do?
- If your Canvas Quiz is using the Classic Quiz type, you must now launch LockDown Browser on your computer, sign in, and navigate to your course and quiz to begin. LockDown Browser will not launch automatically from a Classic Quiz. Please see the student quick start guide for Classic Quizzes.
- I’ve launched LockDown Browser but I’m being prompted to login to a different university. What do I do?
- Lockdown Browser is customized for each university so it’s important that you download, install, and use the version that is available on this page (see above under Getting Started).
- I’m concerned LockDown Browser is not secure or is accessing files on my computer.
- LockDown Browser prevents access to other applications and files during an exam, but it doesn’t access any of the students’ files or documents, nor does it transmit those files to a Respondus server. This has been verified by countless security experts at client institutions using applications like Wireshark. Both the LockDown Browser installer and the installed program are digitally signed using a code signing certificate issued by Thawte. If either is altered in any way, Windows will show the signature as invalid.