Respondus offers a suite of tools to assist with your assessment proctoring needs in Canvas.
The University of Delaware has acquired a university-wide license for the following tools for one more year (through July 31, 2022). A faculty committee convened this fall 2021 by the Provost will determine renewal after July 31, 2022.
Respondus LockDown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser is a program students download and install on their own computers that is used when taking an online quiz, test, or exam in Canvas where the instructor has chosen to use it. It prevents students from opening new browser windows or tabs, accessing other programs, or navigating away from the test.
Respondus LockDown Browser also includes an optional feature called Respondus Monitor which records the student’s webcam during an assessment session.
Respondus LockDown Browser is installed on computers in the IT computer lab located in the lower-level of Smith Hall. These computers will only support LockDown Browser; they will not support Respondus Monitor because they don’t have webcams.
For faculty transferring quizzes from a non-Canvas format, another Respondus product is available – Respondus 4.0. Respondus 4.0 is a desktop application that assists in the conversion of existing quizzes in specially formatted Word documents to a format suitable for a Canvas quiz.
Follow these steps to download and launch Respondus 4.0:
- Go to UDeploy to download Respondus 4.0, then click “Respondus Setup Instructions and Installation Password.”
Note: Respondus 4.0 is only available for Windows.
Read this document to familiarize yourself with the process for preparing a Word doc to be imported as a Canvas quiz.
In the Word file, put an asterisk to the left of the correct answer. See an example here.
- Launch Respondus 4.0 from your computer.
- Click Import Question Type, then select “Word File” as the Question type (.docx or .doc).
- Click Finish. Now you have the option to either go to Respondus Publishing Wizard to link directly to your course or to save the QTI File (quiz file).
Note: We recommend that you save the QTI file to your device.
- Import the QTI File.
- Settings > Import Content > Content type – Select QTI > Click Source to choose the QTI file from your computer.
For more information, go to this link.
Respondus Training Webinars
Respondus offers many training webinar opportunities. Visit the Respondus Webinar page to register.