Surface Mapping System (Pt. 2)

I’ve found an easier solution to removing the bad Surface Mapping System (SMS) data instead of using a character mask as I had mentioned in my last post. The data will actually end up in several environments that will need to look at it as only numerical values. Each line I read in was separated into a text array for the date and time, and a numerical array for the values. I added a line to the list of fields in the header so the program can determine if the related field was text or numeric. When the numeric values are sent into an array they are standardized if they are successfully converted, and if they can’t be converted they are deleted. After the numeric array has been filled math operations can be done, so far standardizing the lat/lon data is the only one I am doing. After the data has successfully gone into the arrays it gets pulled back out and added to a tab delimited text file. After some troubleshooting, namely spending a couple hours search for a problem caused by a missing quotation in the header, almost all of the program works. So far the only problem I’ve found has been that the code is very condensed, since a single loop scans the input array, compares it to the header, and separates the data into arrays depending on the assignments made in the header.

mbender