Women and Gender Studies is an interdisciplinary field that explores the diverse experiences and representations of women within a broad range of contexts and perspectives. It allows students to investigate how concepts such as gender, race or class develop and continue to shape culture and society.
What’s Special about the Department?
- We offer a major and a minor in Women’s Studies.
- We have more than 75 courses available for students.
- In teaching we have 9 core faculty members, 33 faculty members with joint appointments, and an additional 25 affiliated faculty members housed in other departments.
- We promote research about women and gender across the disciplines.
- We offer a minor in Sexualities and Gender Studies.
- We offer a minor in Domestic Violence Prevention and Services.
- We offer concentrations in Women in a Global Perspective and in Domestic Violence Prevention and Services.
What Can You Do with a Women and Gender Studies Major?
- Maybe a better question is “What Can’t You Do?” Women and Gender Studies is an interdisciplinary field, meaning that students are not limited by discipline, giving them tremendous breadth of academic experience.
- Our alumni have gone on to study law, medicine, politics, literature, society, business – you name it!
- Our alumni work in the fields of human relations, social work, education, science, the arts, the corporate world – again, YOU can choose your future in Women and Gender Studies.
- Check our past newsletters to read the columns on “Staying in Touch” to see what our graduates say about what they have accomplished.