The Department of Foreign Languages and Literatures (FLLT) is located in the College of Arts & Sciences, which offers undergraduate programs leading to the Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree. Students complete a total of 124 credits to earn the B.A. in any of the following language studies: Ancient Greek & Roman, Chinese, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Russian, and Spanish. Paper copies of the requirements for FLLT majors are available at the department office, 103 Jastak-Burgess Hall.
Second language proficiency is a marketable skill in a wide variety of occupations in today’s global economy. One possible career for a foreign language major is translator, someone who interprets information and shares it with other parties when people need to communicate who have limited or no proficiency in each other’s primary language. According to the Occupational Outlook Handbook, a majority of translators in the U.S. work in the health care, legal, and educational systems. The median annual wage of translators was $43, 590 in 2014.
The New Student Orientation (NSO) office is looking for enthusiastic individuals to fill paid positions on campus. There will be three interest meetings for students who would like more information about what the job involves:
Tuesday, September 27th at 7 PM in Gore 320
Monday, October 3rd at 5 PM in Gore 320
Thursday, October 6th at 7 PM in Gore 308
If you are unable to attend one of these meetings but would still like to consider applying, stop by the NSO office in Trabant 231.
Applications will be accepted online at www.udel.edu/students/nso from September 26 to October 9, 2016.
Here are some things you can do during the semester to explore your academic options:
- Complete the online workshop, Choosing and Declaring a Major, at http://www.udel.edu/AEC-workshop/major/index.html.
- Major Resource Kits link academic majors to career options by providing information on subject areas, related career paths, and sample job titles. Read through them at http://www.udel.edu/CSC/students/major_resource_kits.html.
- Go to the UD catalog at http://academiccatalog.udel.edu and review the requirements for at least three majors that interest you. Consider whether the majority of the coursework is more likely to interest or bore you. Are the types of classes required mostly consistent with your strongest skills?
- Attend the Major Mania Information Fair held at Trabant Student Center from 2:30 – 4:00 pm on Friday, October 7, 2016.
Follow the daily adventures of University Studies staff and students. We are running two contests in September.
Pokémon Go Photo contest – Compete against your other UST students by taking pictures of Pokémon that happen to be in and around the UST office at 150 S. College Avenue. Prizes will be awarded in categories such as “most Pokémon caught at UST,” “rarest Pokémon found at UST,” and “most creative picture of Pokémon taken around UST.” Send your photos to email@example.com by September 28 for your chance to win the prizes and possibly have your submissions featured on Instagram.
200 Followers Milestone Contest- We have almost 200 followers on our Instagram. Please help us push our total over the 200 mark! The 200th follower will win one of our prize packs.
*Please be safe when playing Pokémon Go and taking pictures*
UST students may make a 30-minute advising appointment using the online scheduler. Appointments are available for up to one month in advance.
Log into UDSIS and follow these instructions to make an appointment with your UST advisor:
- Click Self Service – UD Appointment Sign Up
- Select Department Calendar – Academic Advising (magnifying glass)
- Select Appointment Reason – ex: Pre-Registration Advising (magnifying glass)
- Select Faculty/Staff Name
- Select Advisor Name [First Name Last Name] (magnifying glass)
- Click View All to see a list of all available appointments.
Find the appointment time you desire and click the Schedule button.
A pop-up box will appear stating that a Confirmation Email has been sent to you.
- Review your email for appointment details, such as date and time.
- If you cannot keep the appointment, it is important that you log back in to the system and cancel it.