The Plant Records Management Intern is a recent college graduate that will gain experience in the operations and management of a plant records office at a public garden. The intern is immersed in the office’s daily operations which include maintaining the plant records databases, plant nomenclature and plant labels for a collection of over 11,000 taxa. The intern is trained, mentored, and assigned work by the Plant Records Manager. He/she is an integral part of the plant records office which is within the Library and Information Services unit of the Education Department and will work to achieve goals that support Longwood Gardens’ mission.
The essential functions of the position are:
- Accession newly acquired plants.
- Verify plant nomenclature utilizing a wide range of publications, databases and other information resources, including archival files.
- Produce both display labels and brass accession tags.
- Map woody plant material using a GPS.
- Provide reference assistance for students, staff, and external guests which may include research and/or plant identification.
- Inventory plants throughout the collection.
- Work a weekly shift at the Longwood Library reference/ circulation desk.
- Update What’s in Bloom on Longwood Gardens’ website.
- Actively contribute to all required Longwood student/intern work projects as defined by the Director of Domestic and International Studies, as well as participates in student/intern activities as appropriate considering the intern’s professional interests and work priorities.
All tasks are performed in alignment with Longwood’s organizational values and are in support of achievement of Longwood’s Strategic Plan.
Skills and knowledge we are looking for in a candidate:
- Familiarity with plant identification
- Familiarity with principles of plant nomenclature
- Familiarity with plant records databases
- Familiarity with geospatial software
- Great organizational skills
- Be able, comfortable, and willing to work independently and as part of a group
- Be able, comfortable, and willing to work outdoors in adverse weather conditions
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including ability to interact with people in a courteous, patient, and professional manner
This is a 12 month internship starting in May or September.
The position extends throughout one full year, full time, 40 hours per week. This is a paid position at a rate of $10.00/hour with optional free housing (a taxable benefit) provided. Located in Kennett Square, PA, Longwood Gardens is approximately 45 minutes southwest of Philadelphia.
For more information on housing, student activities, hours and wages, go to http://longwoodgardens.org/education/college-and-university-programs/internships-for-us-students or contact EDU-Studies@longwoodgardens.org
A completed application should include
1. The application form (found here: http://longwoodgardens.org/education/college-and-university-programs/internships-us-students/apply-now/application)
2. A copy of your resume (uploaded in a word pdf file)
3. A statement of your professional objectives, approximately 200 words (uploaded in a word pdf file)
4. Official transcripts of all college courses, must show cumulative GPA, minimum GPA of 2.5 required (uploaded in a word pdf file)
5. A letter of reference from your academic advisor (or professor) regarding your scholastic achievements and potential as an intern (uploaded in a word pdf file)
6. A reference from a current or former employer, preferably from within your field of interest (uploaded in a word pdf file)
ONLY COMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL BE CONSIDERED.
Must be received by February 1, 2018 for May start date.
Must be received by May 1, 2018 for September start date.
The Garden Club of America funds 28 scholarships, which provides over $330,000 in financial aid to qualified students. The GCA funds studies and research in the following areas: forestry to applied plant sciences to ecology and evolutionary biology, landscape architecture, and horticulture. To learn more about the GCA scholarships, requirements, and deadlines visit their website: GCA Scholarships
Disney Professional Internships is currently looking for a Horticulture Intern to support the Golden Oak garden from June 2017 through January 2018.
A little about Golden Oak: The goal of Golden Oak’s vegetable garden development project is to bring only the freshest ingredients into the restaurant all while educating the guest in the agricultural process. We utilize the talents of the Horticulture team at The Land at Epcot to follow their growing principles that have found great success over the past years at Walt Disney World.
Candidates must be enrolled in school, or have graduated within the past six months to be eligible. For more information and to apply for this internship, click on the following link: Golden Oak Horticultural Internship – Fall 2017
The Sprig and Twig Garden Club of Dover, DE is offering a $1000.00 scholarship for excellence in plant science, ornamental horticulture, environmental studies, and other related areas. Applicants must be a resident of Kent County, Delaware.
We are proud to announce that we’re currently accepting applications for our 2017 Proven Winners® scholarship program. This is the third year that we are awarding a total of $35,000 in scholarships to students at 4-year Universities and Technical/Community colleges.
Students who are sophomores or above, who maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better (on a four point scale) are eligible for the 4-year scholarships.
Full scholarship details can be found here.
Please note that the application form is online and that all elements of the application need to be submitted at the same time.
Applications are due no later than April 1, 2017.
Summer scholarships in field botany for undergraduate and graduate students
- A scholarship for graduate study in public horticulture
- A fellowship to study pollinator decline
- An award to fund graduate and advanced undergraduate students studying horticulture, conservation, botany, environmental science and landscape design relating to arid landscapes
- A fellowship in urban forestry
- An offering in summer environmental studies for residents of New Jersey or non-residents studying in New Jersey
- A fellowship in ecological restoration
- Regional scholarships for undergraduates or graduate students who wish to pursue the study of horticulture and related subjects
- Awards for summer environmental studies to undergraduates following their freshman, sophomore or junior years
- A scholarship to study the habitat of threatened or endangered native birds of the U.S.
- A grant for graduate students to conduct field research on biology and management of rare flora
- A scholarship for undergraduate or graduate students for the study abroad of tropical horticulture and botany
- A fellowship in garden history and design
- An internship in garden history and design with a preference given to those who want to intern at the Smithsonian
- A summer scholarship in medicinal botany primarily for undergraduate students
- A fellowship in medicinal botany
- Awards in tropical botany for Ph.D. candidates to pursue independent field study
- Funding to assist graduate students for field work and research in coastal wetland studies
- A fellowship in landscape architecture at the American Academy in Rome
- Scholarships for graduate study in horticulture and landscape architecture in Great Britain
For additional information, email email@example.com.
Greetings from Disney Professional Internships!
We are currently looking for a Horticulture Intern to support our Golden Oak garden for an immediate start through January 2017.
A little about Golden Oak: The goal of Golden Oak’s vegetable garden development project is to bring only the freshest ingredients into the restaurant all while educating the guest in the agricultural process. We utilize the talents of the Horticulture team at The Land at Epcot to follow their growing principles that have found great success over the past years for The Company.
Interested candidates must be enrolled in school, or have graduated within the past six months to be eligible.
For more information and to apply for this internship, click on the following link: Golden Oak Horticulture Intern – Fall 2016
Thank you for your interest in Disney Internships!
Disney Campus Recruitment
Longwood Gardens is seeking a self-motivated, dynamic individual for the position of Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Technician in the Horticulture Department. Primary responsibilities include assisting the IPM Specialist by scouting, diagnosing, treating, and training staff on plant health care issues and evaluating cultural, biological, mechanical, and chemical control strategies to reduce pests to tolerable levels across all areas of the conservatory, greenhouses, outdoor gardens and natural areas. This work requires a thorough understanding of horticultural practices, plant-pest interactions, control techniques and application equipment. This individual will conduct large tree sprays and other pesticide applications throughout the property, help train and direct the IPM team (staff, students, volunteers, and contractors) and assist with the management of all aspects of Longwood Gardens’ pesticide safety program.
Minimum of an Associate’s degree in entomology, plant pathology, or horticulture equivalent with two years’ experience working in landscape and/or greenhouse horticulture with special emphasis in pest management scouting, diagnosis, and treatment of a variety of ornamental plants is required. Must have or be willing to obtain a Class B commercial driver’s license and a PA Pesticide applicator’s license.
The successful candidate will possess good time management, organizational, and observation skills with strong attention to detail; fluency with Microsoft office, and strong communication skills with the ability to present to diverse audiences.
Please mail your resume with salary requirements to the address below.
Longwood Gardens, Inc.
Attn: Human Resources
P.O. Box 501
Kennett Square, PA 19348
Fax 610.388.5495 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
The job posting can be found here: http://longwoodgardens.org/employment/full-time-job-opportunities