If I Knew Then What I Know Now…standardized exams

Throughout the semester we will provide words of wisdom to freshmen and underclassmen. Please check back for advice on midterms, finals, getting involved, and more!

As a Senior, I can honestly say I have seen my fair share of standardized tests. As a student teacher, I have observed my students worry about these same tests. I’ve never been the best test taker- however my scores have always been good enough to get by. I made the mistake of assuming that I would get by with the PRAXIS tests and put them off for a long time.

If I could give one word of advice to students, be aware of the tests required to get certification in majors or to get into graduate school. PREPARE! PREPARE! PREPARE! I waited until the last minute to take tests for certification and regret waiting as long as I had.
By waiting so long, I put myself at risk of graduating without a passing score. Know the dates and know the scores. Take tests over the summer or when you have time to dedicate to these tests. GOOD LUCK!

-Emily Gribben

cmanneri

Christy is a graduate of the Biden School of Public Policy and Administration at the University of Delaware with a master's in Public Administration. She is the chief operating officer of a local non-profit, 3B Brae’s Brown Bags and a Communications Specialist for the University of Delaware. Her research interests include issues of social justice, such as nutritional insecurity, community re-entry, and domestic violence. She also volunteers with her local school district and has a deep passion for education policy, as she believes many social injustices stem from inequitable opportunities in education.