General Operating Policy:
The policy of the Student Shop will be to accept projects with an appropriate scope as determined by the Shop Supervisor. Project scope will be evaluated in terms of complexity, supervision time, and time to complete the project. Individuals with projects determined to be beyond the scope of the Student Shop will be referred to the Graduate Student Machine Shop.
Shop Use Policy:
All undergraduate and graduate students enrolled at the University of Delaware are eligible to work in the shop. All shop users must complete the following:
1. Set up your F.O.M. account-instructions are on the home page.
2. Attend the Basic Shop Safety Demo conducted by the Shop Supervisor. The schedule is located on the shop calendar. Once you have completed the Basic and Hand and Power Tools training, you will receive a link on your F.O.M. account to take the quiz. You must pass the quiz with a grade of 100% to have shop access.
3. Attend the Milling Machine, lathe, or Welding training if you want to use these machines.
Who we serve:
The prioritized list of users and activities in the student machine shop includes:
- Assignments for regularly scheduled classes that have been coordinated with the Shop Supervisor
- Independent study or undergraduate research projects taken for credit
- Student club activities
- Undergraduates and Graduate Students working with a faculty member on a teaching or research project ( will be subject to an hourly usage charge for Mills, Lathes, and Welding Equipment)
- Faculty and other university employees