The mission of the student machine shop is to support educational programs at the University of Delaware by providing a safe and well supervised facility for students to have the opportunity for hands-on fabrication and manufacturing experience. Programs currently supported by the shop include but are not limited to Undergraduate and Graduate Curriculums, Honors Programs, Student Research, and Student Clubs.
Procedure for Using the Shop and the Design Studio:
- Register for FOM (skip this step if you are already registered) This is our online tracking and scheduling software
- Complete the Basic Shop Safety and Hand and Power Tools Safety Training Session*
- To sign up for training, Click on > SCHEDULING > CALENDAR, then the training you want. Click > LEARN MORE for the link to sign up. IF YOU DON”T SHOW UP FOR YOUR REGISTERED SESSION, YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO SIGN UP FOR TRAINING AGAIN FOR 30 DAYS! CANCELLATIONS SHOULD BE AT LEAST 24 HOURS BEFORE THE SESSION.
- Review all the new and/or revised Shop Safety materials on the shop web page.
- Log into FOM to receive the link to the Shop Safety and Hand and Power tools Safety quiz. Complete the quiz with a passing grade of 100%.
- You now have Student Machine Shop and Design Studio access.
- Additional training is required to use the Milling Machines, Lathes, and Welding equipment in the Machine Shop. You can sign up using the calendar as noted above.
- Once you have completed the training, you can log on to FOM to reserve shop machines or check machine availability. These machines must be reserved in advance.
* This session only need to be completed one time by new students or first time shop users – check the News and Events tab for the training schedule