The mission of the student machine shop is to support educational programs at the University of Delaware by providing a safe and well supervised facility for students to have the opportunity for hands-on fabrication and manufacturing experience. Programs currently supported by the shop include but are not limited to Undergraduate and Graduate Curriculums, Honors Programs, Student Research, and Student Clubs.
New Access Procedure for the Student Machine Shop & Design Studio
Beginning February 1, 2018
1. Register on FOM (Instructions). If you have already registered for FOM, skip this step. You only need to register for FOM once during your time at UD.
- Watch the Video Introduction to the Student Shop.
Read the 3 Safety Training PDF Documents (modules) on the shop website:
These document modules are:
Step 1: University of Delaware Shop Safety
Step 2: Student Machine Shop Rules and Regulations
Step 3: Hand and Power Tools Training Materials
Note: Be sure to write down the confirmation code within each document. You will need these codes to pass the online quiz. These codes may change daily.
4. Take the Online Safety Quiz and pass with a score of 100%. The link to the quiz is in the safety training documents. You may retake the quiz until you pass.
- Once you pass the Online Safety Quiz, you can use your UD Student ID to access The Student Machine Shop (104 Spencer Lab), and rest of The Design Studio (109 and 134 Spencer Lab). When entering The Student Machine Shop (Room 104), always check with a Machinist first prior to doing anything.
- If you are in a MEEG or BMEG course requiring use of The Student Machine Shop or The Design Studio, your instructor will coordinate training on specific pieces of equipment in these locations. Additional training on equipment can also be obtained by signing up for a training session through the Student Shop web site – see the Shop calendar for upcoming training sessions (http://sites.udel.edu/studentshop/calendar/).
- Additional training is required to use the Milling Machines, Lathes, and Welding equipment in the Machine Shop. You must have the Basic Shop and Hand and Power Tools Safety Training first. Signing up in advance is required. These sessions are limited to 6 people – so sign up early!
To sign up for Mill, Lathe, or Welding training on the Student Shop Website , Click on SCHEDULING > CALENDAR, then the training session you want. Click LEARN MORE for the link to sign up.
IF YOU DON’T SHOW UP FOR YOUR REGISTERED SESSION, YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO SIGN UP FOR TRAINING AGAIN FOR 30 DAYS! CANCELLATIONS SHOULD BE AT LEAST 24 HOURS BEFORE THE SESSION.
- Once you have completed the training, you can log on to FOM to reserve shop machines or check machine availability. The Milling Machines, Lathes, and Welding Equipment must be reserved in advance. You will not be able to reserve these machines if you haven’t had the machine-specific training.
We are transitioning to an online training system for Basic and Hand and Power Tools Training. It should be operational by the first week of February. The Milling Machine, Lathe and Welding training will still be held in the shop. Check this site periodically for...read more