The mission of the student machine shop is to support educational programs at the University of Delaware by providing a safe and well supervised facility for students to have the opportunity for hands-on fabrication and manufacturing experience. Programs currently supported by the shop include but are not limited to Undergraduate and Graduate Curriculums, Honors Programs, Student Research, and Student Clubs.
Procedure for Using the Shop and the Design Studio:
- Register for FOM (skip this step if you are already registered) This is our online tracking and scheduling software.
- F.O.M. is ONLY for reserving equipment and checking equipment availability – All Training Sign Up Sheets are on the Student Shop Website.
- After registering, you will need to attend the Basic Shop and Hand and Power Tools Safety Training (This session only needs to be completed one time by new students or first time shop users, however the online quiz must be taken annually after September 1st for continued shop access). Then you will need to pass the online safety quiz to have shop access.
- Training sessions are 1.5 hours long and are held in the Student Machine Shop – 104 Spencer Labs. The Training schedule is under the News and Events tab on the home page. Signing up in advance is required. SPACE IS LIMITED SO SIGN UP EARLY!
- To sign up for training on the Student Shop Website , Click on > SCHEDULING > CALENDAR, then the training session you want. Click > LEARN MORE for the link to sign up. IF YOU DON”T SHOW UP FOR YOUR REGISTERED SESSION, YOU MAY NOT BE ABLE TO SIGN UP FOR TRAINING AGAIN FOR 30 DAYS! CANCELLATIONS SHOULD BE AT LEAST 24 HOURS BEFORE THE SESSION.
- Review all the new and/or revised Shop Safety materials on the shop web page.
- Once you have completed the Basic and Hand and Power Tools Safety Training, you will receive a link to the Safety quiz on your FOM account. Complete the quiz with a passing grade of 100%.
- Now you will be able to access the Student Machine Shop (Room 104), and the Design Studio (Rooms 109 and 134) by scanning your I.D. card.
- Additional training is required to use the Milling Machines, Lathes, and Welding equipment in the Machine Shop. You must have the Basic Shop and Hand and Power Tools Safety Training first. Signing up in advance is required. These sessions are limited to 6 people-so sign up early! You can sign up using the calendar as noted above.
- Once you have completed the training, you can log on to FOM to reserve shop machines or check machine availability. The Milling Machines, Lathes, and Welding Equipment must be reserved in advance. You will not be able to reserve these machines if you haven’t had the machine specific training.
We are transitioning to an online training system for Basic and Hand and Power Tools Training. It should be operational by the first week of February. The Milling Machine, Lathe and Welding training will still be held in the shop. Check this site periodically for...read more