UD Extension conducts field workshops for Delmarva poultry growers

This is one of three grower field workshops the University of Delaware recently conducted for area poultry growers. A local integrator partnered with UD’s poultry team to provide hands-on education on topics like Winter Ventilation and Litter Management, Litter Reconditioning and Nipple Drinker Management. Other training included animal welfare and food safety. Here are some of the pictures from our most recent session:

A Delmarva poultry house serves as a classroom

Steven Collier left and I (Bill Brown) right, demonstrate house leakage principles using colored water:

Greg Griffith, regional sales manager for Ivesco, demonstrates how to seal a foundation plate to improve ventilation and avoid drafting birds:

Greg Griffith

Here, I am demonstrating the importance of insulation in reaching the required R values to reduce heat transfer and condensation. This is another ventilation basic:

Knowing the correct R value for your poultry house is crucial

My colleague, Steven Collier uses a smoke stick to visualize the movement of air through mixing fans while I explain the heat stratification and how mixing fans improve fuel cost and litter conditions:

Smoke test

In this last photo, you see I am holding a sponge. This exercise demonstrates the moisture holding properties of air in a chicken house as it is heated. This is another ventilation basic. (You will notice the smoke from the aforementioned smoke test had not yet settled!):

Relative humidity

Posted by MDW on behalf of Bill Brown, UD poultry Extension agent