Teen health advocate Herrman honored by Children and Families First

The University of Delaware’s Judy Herrman is steadfastly dedicated to teen health — in Delaware and across the country.

With a background is in pediatric nursing, including work with Nemours Hospital for Children and the Delaware Adolescent Program Inc. (DAPI), she credits her own children as one of the reasons for becoming such an impassioned advocate.

“Especially when my own children became teenagers, I watched the challenges facing them and their friends; I wanted more information and to do whatever I could to help,” said Herrman.

With a long list of accomplishments, Children and Families First, an organization that helps kids facing adversity, saluted the School of Nursing professor at a recent ceremony at the Wilmington Club.

During an evening that celebrated a milestone anniversary of the Adolescent Resource Center, Herrman received the 2016 Muriel E. Gilman Family Advocacy Award for her “dedication to improving teen health, building teen decision-making and decreasing the rate of teen pregnancy.”

The honor is named for Muriel Gilman, a beloved champion of Delaware children who worked with UD for several years. Read the full article on UDaily.