Director, Diabetes and You: Kamp for Kids
School of Nursing
373 McDowell Hall
- PhD, University of Maryland at Baltimore, June 2011
Focus: Metabolic Syndrome and Depressive Symptoms
- MSN, University of Delaware, 2000
Major: Cardiopulmonary Clinical Nurse Specialist
Focus: Interventional Cardiology
- BSN, Allegheny University of Health Sciences, 1998
- Advanced Clinical Nurse Specialist Medical/Surgical Nursing
- Cardiovascular Health of Emerging Young Adults
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Transitioning Young Adults to College with Chronic Illness
- Self-Management of diabetes
- Sleep and its effect on chronic illness
- Faculty Development in Interprofessional Simulation
Grants & Research
- 2016- American Nurses Foundation/Eastern Nursing Research Society, awarded $5,000, for Transition to college campus living with a chronic condition: Type 1 diabetes exemplar. Principal Investigator with Christine Calamaro.
- 2016- General University Grant, University of Delaware, awarded $6,636, for Transition to college campus living with a chronic condition: Type 1 diabetes exemplar. Principal Investigator with Christine Calamaro.
- 2016- Beta Xi Chapter of Sigma Theta Tau International, awarded $1,000, for Health and college life among young adults with/without diabetes and asthma: A secondary analysis of NHANES data. PI with Christine Calamaro.
- 2016- Sigma Theta Tau International Foundation, awarded $500.00, for Edith Anderson Educational Leadership Grant
- 2016- Wilmington Flower Market, awarded $1,250.00, for Community Grant Project for Diabetes and you: Kamp for Kids
- 2015- President’s Diversity Initiative, University of Delaware, awarded $3,450, for Faculty Success Program Scholarship, National Center for Faculty Development and Diversity
- 2015-Diabetes Alternative Research and Health Care Foundation, awarded $1,000.00, for Diabetes Alternative Research and Health Care Foundation for Diabetes and You: Kamp for Kids
- 2012 – Delaware Health Science Alliance, awarded $21,679, for Instrument Development to Assess a Debriefing Facilitator Simulation Education of Healthcare Providers. PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR.
- 2012 – “Delphi Study on Physician and Nurse Clinical Competencies in the Management of Hospitalized Patients Experiencing Delirium and/or Alcohol Withdrawal Syndrome”. PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR. College of Health Sciences, Newark, DE.
- 2012 – “Investigation of the Stress Response during a Patient Communication Simulation Scenario”. PRINCIPAL INVESTIGATOR. College of Health Sciences, Newark, DE.
- 2010 – Wilmington Flower Market, received $1000.00 for Diabetes and You: Kamp Kids.
- 2010 – Diabetes Action Research and Education Foundation Grant application and operation, received $1,000.00 for Diabetes and you: Kamp for Kids.
- Saylor, J., Wrainright, S., Herge, E. A., & Pohlig, R. T. (2016). Peer-Assessment Debriefing Instrument (PADI): Assessing faculty effectiveness in simulation education Journal of Allied Health, 45(3), e27–e30.
- Saylor, J., & Calamaro, C. (2016). Transitioning young adults with type 1 diabetes to campus life. Journal for Nurse Practitioners, 12(1), 41-46.
- Saylor, J., Herge, E. A., Wrainright, S., & Pohlig, R. T. (2016). Development of Instrument to Assess the Clinical Effectiveness of the Debriefer in Simulation Education. Journal of Allied Health, 45(3), 191-198.
- Saylor, J., Vernooy, S+, Selekman, J., & Cowpethwait, A. (2016). Interprofessional Education using a palliative care simulation. Nurse Educator, 41(3), 125-129. DOI:10.1097/NNE.0000000000000228
- Saylor, J. & Friedmann, E. Biopsychosocial contributors to metabolic syndrome: A secondary analysis of 2007-2010 National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey Data. (2015). Nursing Research, 64(6), 434-443. DOI:10.1097/NNR.0000000000000121
- Saylor, J., Schell, K. A., Mandell, M. & Graber, J. (2015). Development of a clinical competency checklist for care of patients experiencing substance withdrawal delirium or and delirium: Use of a Delphi technique and expert panel. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing, 55(6), 29-36. DOI: 10.3928/02793695-20150526-01
- Salam, T., Saylor, J., & Cowperthwait, A. (2015). Attitudes of nurse and physician trainees towards an interprofessional simulated education experience on pain assessment and management. Journal of Interprofessional Care, 29(3), 276-278. doi:10.3109/13561820.2014.950726
- Cowperthwait, A., Saylor, J., Schmitt, L. A., Salam, T., Melby, M. K., & Baker, S. D. (2015). Healthcare Theatre and Simulation: Maximizing Interprofessional Partnerships. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 11(9), 411-420. DOI:10.1016/j.ecns.2015.05.005
- Cowperthwait, A., Saylor, J., & Schell, K. (2013). Healthcare Theatre: A unique simulation partner. Clinical Simulation in Nursing, 10(1), e41-46. DOI:10.1016/j.ecns.2013.05.012
- Saylor, J, Friedmann, E., & Lee, H.J. (2012). Navigating complex samples analysis using a national survey data. Nursing Research, 61(3), 231-237.
- Saylor, J, Friedmann, E., & Thomas, S. (2011). Navigating complex samples in national databases. [Published abstract]. 25th Annual conference of the Southern Nursing Research Society.
- Wheeler, E., Pretzer-Aboff, I., DiSabatino, A., Hardie, T., Saylor, J., Lucey, R. (2010). The Psychological effect of Implantable Cardioverter Defibrillators. Nursing 2010 Critical Care, 5(2), 5-7.
- Beta Xi Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau International President 2015-2017
- American College Health Association 2017-
- International Meeting on Simulation in Healthcare 2016-
- American Diabetes Association 2016-
- American Association of Diabetes Education 2016-
- American Nurses Association 2016-
- Delaware Nurses Association 2015-
Honors and Awards
- 2016- Delaware Today, DE Top Nurses Nursing Excellence As Academic Educator
- 2016- Nominated for University of Delaware Excellence in Teaching Award
- 2016- Nominated for University of Delaware Excellence in Undergraduate Academic Advising and Mentoring Award
- Saylor, J. Health history and physical examination (2017). In S. W. Lewis, L. Bucher, M. Heitkemper, & M. Harding (Eds). Medical-Surgical Nursing assessment and Management of Clinical Problems 10thh ed. (34-45) St. Louis, MO: Elsevier.
- Saylor, J., Cowperthwait, A., & Rodriguez, C.+ (2014). Transferring Simulation into Clinical Practice: A Psychosocial Nursing Exemplar. In Caputi, L. (Ed.) Innovations in Nursing Education: Building the Future of Nursing, Volume 2. Washington, DC: National League for Nursing.