Gail H. Wade, PhD, RN
School of Nursing
325 McDowell Hall
Gail H. Wade earned her BSN and MS from University of Delaware and her PhD from Widener University. She is an Associate Professor for the School of Nursing at the University of Delaware with a clinical specialty in maternal/child health. She teaches in the undergraduate, graduate, RN to BSN programs and the PhD program. She has been a member of Beta Xi chapter of Sigma Theta Tau since its inception serving as counselor, recording secretary, member of the governance committee and as a delegate to the national convention.
Gail Wade has had a variety of experiences in the area of maternal/child nursing. As advisor for the Preconception Peer Education Program at the University of Delaware, she works work with a group of Preconception Peer Educators in planning campus and community outreach activities. As a member of the Education and Planning Committee of the Delaware Healthy Mother and Infant Consortium she coordinates statewide outreach activities.. She is has been on the Board of Directors for Meet Me at the Well, a non-profit organization that reaches out to victums of human sex trafficking. Her research interests are diverse and include health promotion in maternal/child health specifically related to preconception heath, nursing education, and the nursing workforce.
- PhD, Widener University
- MS, University of Delaware
- BSN, University of Delaware
University of Delaware:
- Instructor- NURS 442: Community Health Nursing
- Instructor- NURS 460: Transition to Professional Practice I
- Instructor- NURS 477: Community health
- Instructor- NURS 478: Community Health (Honors)
- Instructor- NURS 479: Preceptorship Practicum
- Instructor- NURS 414: Women and Gender in Healthcare
- Instructor- NURS 604: Advanced Practice Roles for Healthcare Providers
- Co-Instructor- NURS 609: Nursing Science: Theory and Research
- Instructor- NURS 841: Philosophical and Theoretical Basis of Nursing Education
Diefenbeck, C., Herrman, J., Wade, G., Hayes, E., Voelmeck, W., Cowperthwait, A., & Norris, S. (2014). Preparedness for clinical: Evaluation of the core components of the Clinical Immersion Curriculum model. Journal of Professional Nursing, 31 (2), 124 – 132.
- Wade, G. H. (2014). Nurses as primary advocates for immunization adherence. Journal of Maternal-Child Nursing, 39(6), 351 – 356.
Wade, G., Herrman, J., & McBeth-Snyder, L. (2012). A Preconception Care Program for Women in a College Setting. Journal of Maternal-Child Nursing, 37(3), 164 – 170.
- March of Dimes Community Grants Program. Engaging “At Risk” Female High School Students in Life Planning Through a Power for Life Program, 2016.
Office of Minority Health. Preconception Peer Educator Grant, 2016.
- Meet Me at the Well (non- profit). Board Member, 2015-present.
- Christiana Care Health Services – School Based Health Centers for McKean and AI DuPont. Participation in Memorandum of Understanding to facilitate peer to peer reproductive health information, support, and referrals to teen friendly services, 2015-present.
- Visiting Nurses’ Association. Professional Advisory Board, 2009 – present.
- Delaware Healthy Infant and Mother Consortium. Prevention and Education Committee, 2007-present.
- Sigma Theta Tau, Beta Xi Chapter. Member, 1972-present.
- Delaware Nurses’ Association. Member, 1982-present.
- Office of Minority Health. Advisor to Preconception Peer Educators, 2010-present.
Honors and Awards
- Excellence in Education and Mentorship (Honorable Mention), Delaware Today, 2016
- Excellence in Nursing Education (Honorable Mention), Delaware Today, 2015
- Excellence in Nursing (Pediatrics/Neonatal) (Honorable Mention), Delaware Today, 2015
- Excellence in Nursing (Home, Community, Ambulatory) (Honorable Mention), Delaware Today, 2015