Jeanne K. Buxbaum Endowment
Undergraduate Scholarships & Graduate Assistantships
A scholarship or assistantship presented to a nursing student (graduate and/or undergraduate) who has demonstrated academic excellence (minimum of 3.0 GPA) and a sincere interest in older adults with vision and other sensory impairments or adults with sensory impairments.
- Matriculated undergraduate or graduate student in the UD School of Nursing
- Demonstrated academic excellence (GPA ≥ 3.0)
- Graduate students must be registered for a minimum of 6 graduate credits each semester. For more information on Graduate Assistantships please go to the Graduate and Professional Education webpage on assistantships.
- Articulated/demonstrated sincere interest in older adults with vision or other sensory impairments.
- At least one undergraduate nursing student scholarship and one graduate nursing student assistantship stipend will be awarded each academic year. Number of annual scholarships and award amount will depend on quality of applicants and available Endowment monies.
- If you have any questions about the scholarship, call or email Dr. Phillips at 302.831.8392 or ljphil
How to Apply
Matriculated undergraduate or graduate student in the UD School of Nursing:
- Complete the online application:
- Write a brief essay, 1-2 page, single-spaced word document, describing your:
- Interest in older adults/persons experiencing sensory impairments,
- Experiences that have influenced your interest in older adults/persons experiencing sensory impairments (also may include résumé), and
- Short and long-term goals toward a career in gerontological nursing.
- Submit completed application (essay, completed form, other documents) to Dr. Phillips McDowell Hall, by May 15th (mailbox or email attachment).
- Contact Dr. Phillips to schedule an interview between May 16 and May 23.
- All applications submitted and interviews completed by May 23nd will be considered in the selection of award recipients.
- Scholarship decisions will be made by the first week in June for the subsequent academic year, September 1 through May 31.
- In the event that no qualified applications are received in May, applications will be sought during the fall semester, with receipt of applications by December 1, interviews completed by December 15th and final decision for the spring semester made by the first week in January.
“Being a Buxbaum scholar was a wonderful part of my graduate education. I had the pleasure of learning from a woman who’s passion and knowledge about teaching and research was truly inspiring. Veronica was an incredible mentor and friend and the Buxbaum experience was one that I will always be grateful for.”