Meet UD Alumni

Meta McGhee RN MS CPHQ (retired)

BSN Class of 1974

I graduated from UD in 1974. I chose UD because of its reputation for academic excellence and its proven history of producing respected nurse leaders. I retired from the State of Delaware in 2014 where I worked in several supervisory and leadership positions, including as a Healthcare Cost Containment Specialist in the State Medicaid office. My UD experience afforded me the opportunity to work in a number of leadership positions such as Team Leader, Director of Nursing, Clinical Instructor, and Nursing Quality Assurance Coordinator. I was one of the first nurses in Delaware to earn a National Certification in Healthcare Quality, designated as CPHQ. I am very excited about the accomplishments of the Nursing Workforce Diversity Program, and will continue to support UD’s efforts to bring more underrepresented students into the profession.

Stephanie Brahimi, APRN, CRNA

BSN Class of 1988

“My professional nursing career commenced in May 1988 at the University of Delaware. Throughout this journey, I’ve been provided with a variety of opportunities and experiences, including Med/Surg, Maternity, Travel, Recovery, ICU, and now Nursing Anesthesia. As I approach three decades of providing care to countless individuals, I reflect back to that day in May which continues to shape my future destiny.  I am now privileged to return to the University of Delaware under the auspices of the Nursing Workforce Diversity Program (RNvision) to facilitate the journey of future generations of UD nursing students who will proudly proclaim…I AM A NURSE.  As a Nurse Anesthetist, I frequently tell people that, ‘I have the best job in the world’. To provide safety and comfort is a gift that I’m honored to bestow, making my labor a ‘labor of love’.”

“Sweetest Lord, make me appreciative of the dignity of my high vocation, and its many responsibilities. Never permit me to disgrace it by giving way to coldness, unkindness, or impatience.” -Mother Teresa

Gaynel Fontaine, APRN-CNP

BSN Class of 2003
MSN Class of 2010 (Family NP)
Christiana Care: Hodgson Vo-tech School Based Health Center

“I became interested in attending the University of Delaware for my BSN during a recruitment reception held for students from the US Virgin Islands. I chose UD because I wanted to attend an institution that would provide me with a quality education in nursing.  During my time at the University of Delaware I received both the financial and academic support­ that was necessary for me to be a successful student­­.”

“Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.” –Ralph Waldo Emerson

Sarah-Joy Akhimien, RN

BSN Class of 2013
Christiana Care: PCCN Certified
“I chose UD School of Nursing (SON) because of its competitive curriculum and the abundant opportunities and resources available to help enrich my learning. UD SON helped me obtain my goal in becoming a certified nurse by instilling in me a motivation and drive to excel and advance my nursing career. Through UD’s Nursing Workforce Diversity Program (RNvision), I am achieving my goal by advocating for more underrepresented students to attend UD SON and fulfill their dreams and ambitions of becoming successful, culturally competent nurses. To those future nursing students, my words of encouragement would be: to not lose hope; keep your integrity; stay strong and persevere; and if you fall down, get back up and try again. One of my favorite quotes that embodies these words is ‘rejoice in your sufferings, knowing that pressure and hardship produces patience and unswerving endurance’.” – Romans 5:3