About the clinic
The clinic provides concussion treatment and management services for anyone 13 years of age and older. We promote a safe return to sport, work and play.
As the management of concussions (especially sport-related concussions) evolves, a critical need for all members of the health care delivery team to stay up-to-date on the latest in research and care. As a collaborative effort, the clinic combines expertise to ensure quality health care while at the same time help to educate future health care professionals. With a wealth of experience in concussion management, Dr. Brad Sandella, program director of Sports Medicine at Christiana Care, works with University of Delaware nurse practitioners and concussion researchers to provide an elite level of care.
Housed in STAR Health’s Nurse Managed Primary Care Center, the Concussion Clinic is connected to comprehensive physical therapy and speech-language pathology services as part of an interdisciplinary approach to concussion treatment and management.
What we offer
- Comprehensive multidimensional concussion testing including cognitive, balance, vision and reaction time testing
- Professional medical management of a concussions by experienced nurse practitioners and sports medicine physicians — not just a computer test
- Diagnosis and treatments based on the latest research and scientific evidence — again, not just a computer test
- Easy accessibility to qualified medical professionals for initial and follow-up visits
- Access to state-of-the-art concussion assessment technology and research expertise
- Referral partnerships with certified athletic trainers
Backed by research
The University of Delaware is one of lead schools in the NCAA-Department of Defense Grand Alliance CARE Consortium, a massive, longitudinal study on the natural history of a concussion. Nationally, more than 23,000 student-athletes and military service academy students around the country are enrolled. UD’s Concussion Research Group is led by Dr. Thomas Buckley and Dr. Tom Kaminski of the Department of Kinesiology & Applied Physiology. Both are highly acclaimed concussion researchers and certified athletic trainer with a combined 50+ years of experience in sports medicine, including the management of sport-related concussions.
Head impact in sports