Admission to Medical Laboratory Sciences
Walk-in Advising Hours
- Walk-in advising hours for general advising are available. Please see available dates and time.
- Come to Willard Hall, suite 305 & request to meet with Lori Mayhew, academic advisor.
- For advisement for graduate programs please contact Dr. Mary Ann McLane at email@example.com or Dr. Esther Biswas-Fiss at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in changing majors to Medical Laboratory Science or Medical Diagnostics, please contact Lori Mayhew to set up an appointment at email@example.com or 302-831-8804. You may also come during walk-In advising times posted at the link above.
Areas of Study
- Chemistry: state-of-the-art instrumentation is used to analyze many biochemical constituents such as glucose, cholesterol, enzymes and drugs in body fluids
- Hematology: whole blood is used for examining, counting, and identifying red and white blood cells and platelets
- Immunohematology (blood bank): units of blood or components are typed and cross-matched for transfusion
- Microbiology: disease-causing microorganisms are identified and their susceptibility to antibiotics determined
- Molecular diagnostics: detection of nucleic acids in clinical specimens is used for the diagnosis, prognosis, and treatment of disease
- Body fluid analysis: urine and body fluids (other than blood) are analyzed chemically and examined for cellular structures and crystal formations
- Phlebotomy: blood is collected by venipuncture or by fingerstick for use by the laboratory departments to facilitate the diagnosis and treatment of diseases