“Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.” ~ Dr. Martin Luther King
The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgendered (LGBTQ) Faculty/Staff Caucus is committed to fostering and sustaining a welcoming and affirming climate on campus for LGBTQ employees, students, families and visitors in accord with strategic goals of the University of Delaware’s strategic plan.
We recognize the diversity of self-identity and the other social-identity intersections that impact our experiences of sexual and gender orientation, identity and expression. We believe that all employees should feel accepted, valued, supported, appreciated, respected and belonging. All faculty, staff, graduate assistants and administration at the University of Delaware who self-identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, questioning or an ally are welcome as members of the Caucus.
The Caucus contributes to the University’s diversity goals by participating in and initiating activities that address:
- university policies that affect the well being of faculty, staff and students who self-identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender or queer/questioning;
- providing a safe and confidential forum for the discussion of issues important to the LGBTQ community at the University;
- enhancing the LGBTQ cultural competency education on campus to help provide a more inclusive and safe environment for all LGBTQ UD members;
- helping to create a safe, supportive and more equitable professional environment for all LGBTQ employees;
- increasing the ability to recruit and retain LGBTQ faculty/staff and providing support on their arrival;
- collaboration with student groups to support other equity efforts on campus;
- and social networking to enhance a spirit of community among LGBTQ employees and students.