MOTOR CONTROL LAB
Our research is focused on (1) the hand function as seen through force coordination of various manipulation tasks and (2) the evaluation of neuromuscular function and movement performance through novel muscle strength and power tests.
PhD Student, BIOMS
Regarding the studies of hand function, our main project is focused on the role of the task conditions (e.g., force range, frequency, acting friction, hand position, instructions etc) on the grip force coordination. The findings are expected to reveal data relevant for understanding important aspects of neural control of manipulative tasks, as well as for designing future clinical tests of hand function. We also study force coordination in populations known for impaired hand function, such as Multiple Sclerosis and Cerebral Palsy patients.
In collaboration with the University of Zagreb we study the effect of body size on muscle output and movement performance (research funded by a World Bank’s ‘Unity Through Knowledge’ Fund #26/08). We have been also developing novel tests of neuromuscular function in collaboration with the University of Belgrade (research funded by Serbian Scientific Fund (grant #145 082).
Our main line of research is focused upon the hand function as seen through force coordination of various manipulation tasks. Specifically, we are interested how the hand grip force is coordinated with the ‘load force’ (the force that either moves a hand-held object or produces a reaction force from an external support) in both healthy and clinical populations.
Our other lines of research have been developed in cooperation with the University of Belgrade and University of Zagreb. They are focused upon the evaluation of neuromuscular function and movement performance through novel muscle strength and power tests.
- Mackenzie SJ, Getchell N, Modlesky CM, Miller F, Jaric S (2009) Using grasping tasks to evaluate hand force coordination in children with hemiplegic cerebral palsy. Arch Phys Med Rehabil 90(8):1439-42
- Nedeljkovic A, Mirkov DM, Markovic S, Jaric S (2009) Tests of muscle power output assess rapid movement performance when normalized for body size. J Strength Conditioning Res 23(5): 1593-1605
- de Freitas PB, Uygur M, Jaric S. (2009) Grip force adaptation in manipulation activities performed under different grasping and coating conditions. Neurosci Lett 457:16-20
- Uygur M, Richards JG, Jaric S, de Freitas PB, Barlow DA (2009) Kinematics and kinetics of unanticipated misstep conditions: Femoral fracture implications in the elderly. J Biomech 42(9): 1241-1245
- Jaric S, Markovic G (2009) Leg muscles design: the maximum dynamic output hypothesis, Med Sci Sports Exercise, 41(4):780-787
- de Freitas PB, Jaric S. (2009) Force coordination in static manipulation tasks performed using standard and non-standard grasping techniques. Exp Brain Res, 194:605–618
- Nedeljkovic A, Mirkov DM, Bozic P, Jaric S (2009) Tests of muscle power output: the role of body size. International Journal of Sport Medicine 30:100-106 2.
- Suzovic D, Nedeljkovic A, Pazin N, Planic N, Jaric S (2008) Evaluation of consecutive maximum contractions as a test of neuromuscular function. Journal of Human Kinetics 20:51-67
- Freitas PB de, Krishnan V, Jaric S. (2008) Force coordination in object manipulation. Journal of Human Kinetics 20:37‐51
- Krishnan V, Jaric S. (2008) Hand function in multiple sclerosis: force coordination in manipulation tasks, Clinical Neurophysiology 119(10):2274-81
- Mirkov DM, Nedeljkovic A, Kukolj M, Ugarkovic U, Jaric S. (2008) Evaluation of the reliability of soccer-specific field tests. J Strength Conditioning Res 22(4):1046-50
- Freitas PB de, Markovic G, Krishnan V, Jaric S. (2008) Force coordination in static manipulation: Discerning the contribution of muscle synergies and cutaneous afferents. Neurosci Let 434(2):234-9
- Sjolander P, Michaelson P, Jaric S, Djupsjobacka M. (2008) Sensorimotor disturbances in chronic neck pain–range of motion, peak velocity, smoothness of movement, and repositioning acuity. Manuel Therapy 13(2):122-31
- Krishnan V, Freitas PB de, Jaric S. (2008) Impaired object manipulation in mildly involved individuals with multiple sclerosis. Motor Control, 11:3-20
- Freitas PB de, Krishnan V, Jaric S (2007) Force coordination in static manipulation tasks: effects of the change in direction and handedness. Experimental Brain Research, 183:487-497
- Markovic G, Jaric S (2007) Positive and negative loading and mechanical output in maximum vertical jumping. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 39(10):1757-1764
- Markovic G, Jaric S (2007) Is vertical jump height a body size independent measure of muscle power? Journal of Sport Sciences, 25:1355 – 1363
- Nedeljkovic A, Mirkov DM, Pazin N, Jaric S (2007) Evaluation of Margaria staircase test: the effect of body size. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 100:115-20
- Nedeljkovic A, Mirkov DM, Kukolj M, Ugarkovic D, Jaric S (2007) Effects of maturation on the relationship between physical performance and body size. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research, 21:245-50
- Freitas PBJ de, Krishnan V, Jaric S (2007) Elaborate force coordination of precision grip could be generalized to bimanual grasping techniques. Neuroscience Letters, 412:179-184
- Ferrand L, Jaric S (2006) Force coordination in static bimanual manipulation: effects of handedness. Motor Control, 10:359-370
- Markovic G, Dizdar D, Jaric S (2006) Evaluation of tests of maximum kicking performance. The Journal of Sport Medicine and Physical Fitness, 46:215-20
- Marwaha R, Hall SJ, Knight CA, Jaric S (2006) Load and grip force coordination in static bimanual manipulation tasks in multiple sclerosis. Motor Control 10:160-177
- Jaric S, Collins JJ, Marwaha R, Russell EM (2006) Interlimb and within limb force coordination in static bimanual manipulation task. Experimental Brain Research 168:88-97
- Markovic G, Jaric S (2005) Scaling of muscle power to body size: the effect of stretch-shortening cycle. European Journal of Applied Physiology 95:11-19
- Jaric S, Knight CA, Collins JJ, Marwaha R (2005) Evaluation of a method for testing coordination of grip and load forces under isometric conditions. Journal of Electromyography and Kinesiology 15:556-563
- Jaric S, Mirkov D, Markovic G. (2005) Normalization of muscle strength and movement performance tests for body size: A proposal for standardization. Journal of Strength and Conditioning Research 19:467-474
- Jaric S, Russell E, Collins JJ, Marwaha R (2005) Coordination of hand grip and load forces in uni- and bidirectional isometric force tasks. Neuroscience Letters 381:51-56
- Domkin D, Laczko J, Djupsjobacka M, Jaric S, Latash ML (2005) Joint angle variability in 3D bimanual pointing: uncontrolled manifold analysis. Experimental Brain Research 163:44-57