When I hear the word “procrastination,” a few things immediately come to mind: Netflix, Instagram, seeing how many Oreos the guy down the hall can eat in one minute, etc. Generally, this kind of procrastination is frowned upon. Starting my first semester of college, I tried as hard as I could to avoid falling victim to it. I soon realized, though, that not all procrastination is bad. Sometimes, you just need a break. To make myself feel better, I try to make this break feel worthwhile, which is where productive procrastination comes in. A productive procrastinator is able to put off doing work by doing something else useful, that will better their life in some way. Once I learned how to do this, I was a lot less stressed out and a spent a lot less time worrying if I was using my time efficiently or doing enough. Here are five ways I upped my productive procrastination game last semester that I hope to continue using!

1. Cleaning

This probably makes me seem a little weird, but hear me out. When my dorm room is clean, I feel way less stressed. When I have a lot on my plate, I’ll sometimes take the time to organize my closet, or Swiffer the floor, or do the dishes that have been piling up on top of my fridge for the past few days. When my room is less cluttered, my mind feels less cluttered, and I am able to get back to work with a better mindset.

1. Joining clubs

I knew I wanted to get involved first semester, but I wasn’t sure if I could get involved while still having time to get all of my work done. As I found out, a lot of clubs at UD are low commitment, and when I do have time to go to meetings, it is a welcome escape from my studying. I especially enjoy clubs where I feel like I am learning something, so this semester I decided to join the American Sign Language club. I find it really fulfilling to learn a new skill, and having something to practice even when I’m taking a break from schoolwork makes me feel like I’m making the most of my time.

1. Exercising

For some, like people on sports teams or natural fitness junkies, this one might seem like a no-brainer. I was never a very athletic person, though, so it took me until college to really find out how good working out can make you feel, and what a welcome break it is from the books. When I take an hour to go to the gym, either every day or as often as I can, I feel like I’m doing something good for both my mind and body, and I find it really helps me de-stress after a long day of classes.

1. Napping

Some people might think that naps are a waste of time; however, I’m a huge proponent of the power nap. Sometimes, especially when your brain has been working all day, your body just feels exhausted- and nobody does good work when they’re tired. A good nap is a necessity sometimes, and when you wake up, you’ll feel way more motivated to finish whatever you have to do.

1. Doodling, drawing, or coloring

When I think about my childhood, I remember a lot of crayons. When I was little, I probably drew a picture almost every day, and I was perfectly happy. I figured, if it worked for me as a five-year-old, it could work for me as an 18-year-old. I bought a coloring book and some colored pencils, and I now keep them beside my bed. Whenever I’m feeling particularly overwhelmed or lacking motivation, I can pull them out and color to my heart’s content. I still feel productive when I am able to finish a page in the book or a drawing I have been working on, and it allows me to be creative.

The next time school has you overwhelmed, feel free to use some of these guilt-free procrastination techniques. You’ll be surprised at how much procrastination can actually help you be more productive in the long run!