Around this time of the year I see a lot of parents with their children waiting in line for Santa at the mall. They usually fall into two categories: some are hysterically attempting to get the “perfect” picture of their little angel, while others are impatiently scrolling through emails and ignoring the screaming child at their feet.

For those of us that get wrapped up in holiday traditions (no pun intended), we fall into similar routines. Some of us are like the irritated parents on their phones, attempting to put on a happy face, but instead being absolutely drained by the chaos of the holidays. However, since we are relatively young and not too jaded–most of us holiday-lovers fall into the “hysterical” category. People in this group are obsessed and enthralled by all things holiday, but are often let down in the end. They buy eggnog scented lotion, artisanal hot chocolate, a limited edition burberry scarf, and tickets to see the Rockettes three months in advance. They go to the city hunting for the perfect Instagram photo, but end up never looking past the lens of their camera.

I definitely have fit into this category at some points in my life. During the holidays, my bucket list and shopping list is at some points ridiculous. I’m especially drawn to the shops in NYC, with their elaborate window displays, glittering fake snow, and brilliantly elegant packaging. The superficial aesthetic appeal and the glaring words “limited edition” and “sale” override my logic until I end up carrying 3 shopping bags full of things I never intended to buy.

I often feel that during the climax of the holidays, my spirits are no longer “light”, but rather my wallet is instead. Not to mention I’ve realized that half the things on my bucket list go unchecked over and over again.

As I’ve gotten older, I’ve learned it’s best not to expect too much from the holidays. As cliche as it sounds, the little things really do make a big difference on how you interpret the holiday season as a whole. A spontaneous snowball fight can sometimes be more memorable than the time you spent wrestling someone for the last clearance Vineyard Vines sweatshirt. Not to say people shouldn’t go shopping or to attend holiday events, but they shouldn’t let these make or break the holiday experience.

Last year, my friend and I decided to go to the city right before Christmas– something I’ve always wanted to do with my family that never works out. On this particular day, it was pouring rain and the wind was vicious. My friend’s mom, who was leading us, had no map available to her and didn’t speak English terribly well. We went in circles until we finally found Chinatown. Our waitress was rude, my umbrella flipped inside-out on multiple occasions, and I dropped my phone in a puddle.

No, it was definitely not the glamorous Bing Crosby “White Christmas,” but ironically, that day sticks in my mind as one of my favorite holiday memories. We could have easily been frustrated with the day, like the jaded parent waiting in line for Santa. But instead, my friend and I laughed the whole time, singing old Christmas carols out of tune, taking pictures, and window shopping. We watched couples ice skate at the Rockefeller Center while we ate soggy chocolate crepes. To this day, we still look back on the day and laugh.

The moral of the story? Sometimes things don’t work out as planned, but it only makes it more of an adventure. Your holiday experience doesn’t have to be a picture-perfect one in order to be memorable. Nor do you have to be like the Grinch, cynical and above it all. Sit back, slow down, and enjoy one day at a time– even if it rains on your holiday parade.