I was brainstorming topics for my next 186 South College blog and was really having trouble. I don’t enjoy writing about things that I’m not passionate about. I don’t like writing about mediocre topics. I like to inspire people, to make a difference in the world of those around me; so I’m going to be vulnerable for a minute here.

For those that know me, unexpressive is not something that comes to mind. I am “fifty shades of emotions” as my one friend told me just the other day. I used to shame this quality about myself. I used to hate this quality about myself. I used to spend nights awake pondering why I am the way I am. And then, I started writing about it.

I have grown through my writing, through adventures, through education, through being with people that inspire me and lift me up. I am emotional, empathetic, and sensitive. I used to wonder why I am the way I am: why I feel through every single bone of my being. But through my own personal journey of self-discovery, I have grown to not only accept this, but appreciate this quality about myself.

I won’t go too much into detail about this subject because this blog really is not about me. But if you’re interested please check out the blog I wrote about my struggles and triumphs with being an empathetic person, check it out here: https://averybeer.wordpress.com/2015/03/23/being-an-empathetic-person/

This blog is about you. This blog is about whoever is reading this and doubting any part of their being. It is absolutely natural to despise a part of yourself, to question why you are wired the way you are, but I encourage you to take that curiosity and negative energy and channel it to become a purpose. I truly believe that we can create a better world if we start accepting the things we do not like about ourselves and start utilizing them to our advantage. The qualities about myself that I do not like may cause me a lot of anxiety, a lot of pain, and a lot of questioning, but they have also allowed me to see people’s beauty, to feel with them and understand them, and to write about my successes and failures in my life.

I challenge you to all join this journey and flip your insecurities into tools in your tool box. You will be uncomfortable, you will have doubts, but along this journey you will realize that you are made to be who you are for a reason.