I can’t believe how quickly college is going. It seems like just yesterday that I was unloading my car outside of Russell B and strategically choosing which side of the z-shaped room to pick. I can still remember my first day of college when my entire floor went outside to play awkward ice-breakers on the Harrington Beach. We were the epitome of UD freshman….we wore blue lanyards around our necks, seemed hopelessly lost on campus, and did not stray from Russell Dining hall for at least a semester. It is incredible to look back and see how much we have grown up over the past two years.

Now that I am well into junior year, I am starting to think about internships, opportunities, and…dare I say it…the real world! I was reminded of the fact that my class is halfway done with college when I attended the General Honors Award ceremony this past weekend. The Honors Program rewarded all of the juniors that are halfway done with their honors degree. We all received a certificate on-stage and afterwards stayed for a short reception.

When the ceremony began, I was the first person in the entire class to receive my certificate (curse alphabetical order). Oh, and did I mention I am extremely clumsy? One time I fell off the chorus risers as I was walking to sing a solo version of Amazing Grace…it was the polar opposite of graceful. So at the ceremony when I was getting ready to receive my certificate, I was praying that I wouldn’t trip while walking up the stairs to shake hands with the Dean of my college. Luckily, I successfully completely the journey across the stage and back to my seat. The tune of “I’m Almost There” from the Princess and the Frog played faintly in my head. Yes, only I would make a Disney Princess reference about getting my Honors Award.

One of the best parts of the day was that we received formal recognition after our two years of course-work. Another great part was that the whole ceremony was a huge Russell reunion. I got to see so many people from my freshman floor, hear about their accomplishments, and celebrate our achievements together. We have come so far…but we still have a long way to go. It only makes me more excited to see what the next two years will hold!

Reuniting with some of the freshman floor!

~Amanda Abrom