On an overcast Saturday morning a few weeks ago, I participated in a 5K race that yes, involved nuns. Specifically, it was the Nun Run, a race that occurs to benefit the Jeanne Jugan home, which is a residential facility for the elderly in Newark. I went with the Catholic Campus Ministry who bussed over 100 students to run. And yes, the nuns do actually participate in the race.

I ran in the Nun Run two years ago, as a freshman, and I was excited to get to participate again. The free shirts that they give out are quite snazzy and its always fun to tell people that I have run in a race with nuns. This year, I gave myself two goals for the Nun Run: to not come in last place and to get a picture with a nun.

I always have many distinct emotions when signing up for and running a 5K. I start off by feeling quite good about myself when I register for the event. I mean, what better motivation to get in shape than having to run 3.1 miles in public? So, I sign up and think about all of the ways that I am going to train. But unfortunately, all I do is think about training. That’s right, I don’t actually do it.

So, race day rolled around and I was nauseatingly unprepared. It was 6:45am and I was questioning my sanity for signing up to run 3.1 miles at this hour on a Saturday. But of course, once I got to the race location, warmed up and got my free t-shirt (it was purple this year), I was feeling much better about my decision.

The race got off to a good start. It was a beautiful morning to run and I felt great about exercising at such an early hour. However, around mile 2.3, things started to get rough; I was feeling the burn with each step. As I started to slow down, I passed one of the home’s residents who was walking the race course. And I thought, if this elderly man can walk a 5K with a walker, then I most certainly could complete this race. So I did. One foot in front of the other, I made it to the finish line. And, I did not come in last; I actually finished in the top 23% of the runners. Not bad for not having run a 5K in almost 2 years.

So that was one goal complete, and as you can tell from the picture below, my second goal was accomplished as well (getting the picture was far easier). As much as I dislike some aspects of running a 5K, the feeling of accomplishment after completing it is unbeatable. I could barely walk, but I felt as if I could conquer the world. I will undoubtedly participate in the 2015 Nun Run and I vow to actually train for it; you can hold me to that!

~Rebecca Jaeger

Mission accomplished!

Mission accomplished!