So, what keeps me up at night?  I will be honest with you: I do not think that this question pertains to me.  I can say with one hundred percent confidence that once my head hits the pillow after a tough day of classes, activities, club meetings, and homework, I black out and fall into a deep sleep that can only be disturbed by the oh so lovely sound of my alarm clock rousing me from my slumber six to seven hours later.  I’m not kidding; I do not wake up once I am asleep.  Last year, there was a big clunky box fan on the windowsill next to my bed.  When I was asleep, my roommate was climbing into the upper bunk bed when he somehow knocked the box fan over.  The fan hit the ground and burst into pieces, sending little chunks of plastic shrapnel all over the room.  All of this occurred while the fan was still spinning, and yet I slept through it all, and awoke to what appeared to be a murder scene the next morning.

So, as you can tell, sleep and I have a very good relationship, and for the most part I do not have trouble falling asleep.  However, I have noticed that lately I do a bit more thinking at night while lying in bed than I have done in the past.  Nothing to the point where I am drilling holes in the ceiling with my constant stare, but just enough to be noticeable.

I am considerably busier this year as compared to last year and I have taken on more activities and responsibilities within the UD community.  Being more involved helps broaden my college experience and gives me a sense of wellbeing and fulfillment.  Not to mention, all of the new skills I have developed and all of the new friendships I have acquired have been beneficial.  Be that as it may, I have noticed that on certain days when it seems that 24 hours cannot possibly be enough time to get everything done, I find that when I try to lie down at night (or more so than not, in the early hours of the next day), my mind will still be running ablaze with thoughts and ideas for my courses and activities. Here I am, just trying to recharge my mind and body for the upcoming day’s task and trials, and all my brain can do is focus on policy alternatives for the drug crime problem in Wilmington, or how to re-phrase the second paragraph of my DEconstruction magazine article, or how to articulate the melody of the latest marching band song.  I suppose this is my brain telling me that I need to take the time to unwind from the day’s hectic and busy tasks before I can slip into the deep sleep that I crave.