SummerBucketList

No matter where you are or what you’re doing this summer (unless you’re traveling the world), you’re probably going to need something to keep yourself active and not bored. Because let’s face it, even though we beg for summer we get slightly bored come mid-July. Maybe you have a full-time job this summer or you’ll be babysitting those brats next door again. Regardless, you deserve to make some time for yourself to do something fun. Here are some suggestions for your perfect 2013 summer bucket list.

1.       Visit a new place. You may be taking a family vacation this summer or planning a road trip with a friend. Whatever it is, go somewhere you’ve never been before and take in the sights. I hope to make it to Yosemite this summer while I’m in California and I’ve never even been to a national park! I wouldn’t suggest road tripping just to go to a different beach though. Do something radically different. You’ll be glad you did.

2.       Pick up a new hobby. This could include a wide range of things. If you took my advice on doing an activity with your mom, maybe that could be your new hobby. You could even find a lot of joy in analyzing clouds all day (who doesn’t?) or giving swim lessons to your little cousin. Whatever it is, allow yourself some free time to enjoy.

3.       Be a kid again. You used to make forts, catch lightening bugs, swim in the lake, have water balloon fights and camp in the backyard. Who says you can’t do that now just because you’re in college? This summer, free yourself from your adult inhibitions and play hide-and-seek outside until dark. Just remember, if the streetlights come on, it’s time to go inside.

4.       Document everything. Instead of a 30-day picture challenge, try to do a 90-day picture challenge. If you take a picture a day of something really memorable each day, you won’t be quick to forget what you did this summer. If you do absolutely nothing fun all summer (which I doubt would ever be the case), then of course there isn’t much to document. However, these are the memories you won’t want to forget, so have something to show for them!

Above all, don’t waste a minute. Before you know it, you’ll be working 40 hours a week and won’t have a summer break (unless you’re a teacher). This is my last “free” summer and I plan to live it to the fullest…even though I am still working 40 hours a week.

Good luck with finals and have a fantastic summer! Tell us what your big plans are for the next few months.

~Chelsey Rodowicz

chelsey