This semester student theatre groups offered the UD community a season of envelope-pushing, raucously funny, unapologetic theatre with each production featuring Honors students at the helm. Whether it be directing, acting, or producing, these students demonstrate why the University of Delaware is such a Talent Magnet.

Upcoming Productions:

HTAC Presents: Little Shop of Horrors

“Theater has always been a passion of mine and I love being able to continue performing even though I am not a theater student” says Neil Kirschling (left), who plays Seymour in Little Shop. “Although rehearsals add to my already-busy schedule, the experience has been so rewarding because of the friendships I have made. I know the end result will be rewarding. I’m so proud of our production and cannot wait to show my friends and family what I have been working on all semester”.

Maggie Stohler (middle) proudly directed the production, saying “It’s been an unforgettable process working with my incredibly talented production staff, and we’re all really excited for you to see our finished product!”

You can see Little Shop of Horrors, this weekend and next:

When: November 2nd, 3rd, 8th, 9th, 10th at 8pm, November 4th at 2pm

Where: Bacchus Theater

How much: $3 for students, $5 general admission

Synopsis: A down-and-out skid row floral assistant becomes an overnight sensation when he discovers an exotic plant with a mysterious craving for fresh blood. Soon “Audrey II” grows into an ill-tempered, foul-mouthed, R&B singing carnivore who offers him fame and fortune in exchange for feeding its growing appetite.

E-52 Presents: Dracula

Many members of the cast and crew of Dracula take time off from rehearsal to head to the PA Rennaisance Faire. Dracula’s production manager, Honors student Caitlyn Goodhue (yellow jacket) joins the group on this outing.

“As Production Manager, I’ve enjoyed working with everyone behind the scenes.” Says Caitlyn. “I look forward to seeing everyone at the production staff meetings, and I can’t wait to see the final product of the show! I know from talking to the directors that each cast member has been working hard – even meeting with the directors outside of rehearsal time – to make sure that the show will turn out to be the best it possibly can be. (Also, if you weren’t able to fully celebrate Halloween because of the timing of the hurricane, here’s a perfect opportunity to get into the Halloween spirit this November!)”

When: Friday November 9, 10, 15, 16, 17 at 7:30pm, November 11 at 2pm

Where: Pearson Hall

How Much: Tickets will be sold at the door for $5 students and $7 general public.

“To win a woman, take her with you to see Dracula.“- Bela Lugosi

Past Productions:

HTAC Presents: Spring Awakening

Photography by Kevin J Parks Photography

“I am so grateful to have been a part of this production of Spring Awakening!” says Honors student Neil Redfield (center, seated) “It’s been an awesome experience, very fulfilling, and a bunch of fun. Probably the best experience I’ve had in HTAC. Everyone in the cast and production staff is very proud of the show, and it was very well received by audiences”.

Honors student Daniel Bailin (below, center), who is also the president of HTAC was also involved in the production.

E-52 Presents: Avenue Q

“E-52’s production of Avenue Q was such an amazing experience for me mainly because of the people involved in the show” says Honors student Will Bryant. “From freshmen to graduate students, accounting to neuroscience to engineering majors, it was a very diverse group of people who were all united by their love of the theatre. In my role as the musical workshop leader I got to see the actors develop on a musical level and learn the songs and then bring them to life through the puppets. Getting to work in the workshop format meant that I got to learn how to work with the puppets as well and had my own responsibilities to interpret the music and scenes through Princeton and Rod, which are the puppets I used. It was a great experience and I can’t wait to work with E-52 and these actors again.”

Avenue Q also featured the talents of Honors students Brad Michalakis (Princeton/Rod), Emily Van Atta (Gary Coleman), and Laura Sperling (Asst. Stage Manager).

E-52 Presents: SAST IX (Short Attention Span Theatre)

This year E-52’s annual one-act festival featured many talented players, not the least of which being Honors student Angel Van Bennekom who directed the Alice Gerstenberg play Overtones which also featured Honors student Claire Davanzo.