For some, the summer is a time to relax and take a break. But we found some Honors students who are taking on some interesting projects, internships, and trips this summer.

Lauren Cutajar-Wynne
Class of 2012
Major: Political Science
Hometown: Long Island, NY

Summer plans: I am currently a Legislative Fellow at the Delaware General Assembly. I work for the House Majority Caucus. Once my fellowship concludes at the end of the legislative session on June 30th, I will be interning for Senator Carper in his Wilmington Office for the rest of the summer. I am on the left in the photo in the yellow shirt. To my right is Shannon Marshall (Class of 2010) who came back to UD to visit to support UDANCE 2011.

Gabriel Di Gennaro
Class of 2011
Dean’s Scholar Concentrations in Music Education, Vocal Performance, and Theatre Performance
Hometown: Woodbury Heights, NJ

Summer plans: I was accepted into the Emerging Artist Program of OperaWorks in Los Angeles, CA this summer. From the website: This two-week program was created specifically for exceptionally talented young singers who want to build strong stage skills. OperaWorks provides the tools for life-long learning that will benefit singers throughout their careers. The program culminates in two public performances on June 18 and 19 of an original work incorporating opera, improvisation and physical theater. I was fortunate enough to be one of 30 students accepted out of a pool of over 300 applicants.

Daniel Faber
Class of 2012
Major: Vocal Music Education, Music Theory/Composition minor
Hometown: Cherry Hill, NJ

Summer plans: I will be spending my summer in the Dallas/Fort Worth area working with a professional musical theater company called Texas Family Musicals. I auditioned in Boston at the New England Theater Conference and was hired as a contracted performer in two productions in four major theaters. I’ll be spending June and July there, and then I plan to travel to Bangalore, India for a cultural exchange in August.

Sara Gartland
Class of 2012
Major: Math Education and History
Hometown: Cochranville, PA

Summer plans: I will be riding horses all day every day this summer! I currently compete my own horse at the highest level of national competition in my sport of Three Day Eventing, and have just started to do international competitions. This summer I will be training with my horse to prepare for the Plantation Field Advanced Horse Trials and the Fair Hill International CCI in the fall. I will also be exercising racehorses and dressage horses, and teaching riding lessons.

Katherine Gloede
Class of 2012
Major: Instrumental Music Education – Flute, Applied Voice minor
Hometown: Morganville, NJ

Summer plans: This summer I will be the flutist for The College Light Opera Company on Cape Cod in Falmouth, Massachusetts. Each week we will perform a different musical or operetta, while learning and rehearsing the next week’s work. In addition to room and board, the orchestra members are awarded a scholarship.

Amanda Hoffman
Class of 2013
Major: Food Science, Nutrition and Chemistry minor
Hometown: Deer Park, NY

Summer plans: This summer I will be working as an intern at TIC Gums located in White Marsh, MD. TIC Gum’s provides edible texturizers and stabilizers to the food industry. As an intern at TIC Gum’s I will be working on research and development in the Texture Innovation Department.

Hilary Kerchner
Class of 2013
Major: Chemistry
Hometown: East Petersburg, PA

Summer plans: I am a recipient of a GlaxoSmithKline Summer Fellowship where I will be able to continue participating in research on my very own project with the Mary Watson’s Group here at Delaware for ten weeks in the summer.

Shane Palkovitz
Class of 2012
Major: English: Ethic & Cultural Studies Human Services: Administration and Family Policy
Hometown: Kamblesville, PA

Summer plans: I will be conducting research in the Summer Scholars Program for the Humanities at UDel. I will be working under the supervision of Dr. McKay Jenkins to study human displacement. The brunt of the research work will be done by reading. However, a short trip in July and a one-month trip to Southern Africa in January ’12 will provide me with opportunities to do qualitative investigations and gain material for a nonfiction Honors Thesis in a related area of study. Also, I plan to be writing and recording folk music in my spare time.

Jonathan Saddler
Class of 2012
Major: Chemistry
Hometown: Glenwood, IA

Summer plans: I’ll be visiting friends across Europe from Poland to Bulgaria, before spending a few weeks teaching English at a children’s summer camp on the coast of the Black Sea in Ukraine. After that, I’ll be travelling around Turkey and India visiting more friends before meeting up with a buddy to go hiking in the mountains of Malaysia and Indonesia…after 5 weeks overseas, I’ll wrap up the summer with some good cooking back home and a few U.S. road trips with friends and family….a great way to enjoy my last summer before the real world!

Andrew Tremblay
Class of 2011
Major: Music
Hometown: Somerset, MA

Summer plans: I will be starting as a Performing Arts Intern at the Longwood Gardens in Chester County, PA. I’ll spend a year with the organization working on the administrative end of all of their music and theatre events, doing everything from marketing and publicity to operations and production management. I’m looking forward to gaining some great work experience in the arts administration field and enjoying lunch breaks amongst the beautiful plants and flowers in the conservatory!

Kevin K. Zhang
Class of 2014
Major: Neuroscience
Hometown: Hockessin, DE

Summer plans: I will be interning in the dental clinic at Esperanza Health Center in inner-city Philadelphia as part of Intervarsity Christian Fellowship’s Gateway program. I will serve the people who come to the clinic and learn about issues of social justice and how my faith impacts my career.