These degrees allow exceptionally talented and dedicated undergraduate students to pursue their academic interests in greater depth and breadth than is required for the regular bachelor’s degree. Achievement in these degrees is recorded on the official transcript and diploma. These degree options, where available, are open to all UD students who meet the requirements.
A candidate must satisfy the general University requirements and the degree requirements specified for the major by his or her college and departments. The degrees are currently available in the majority of departments or degree programs. For information about availability and specific department or college requirements, inquire in the Honors Program Office or consult “Opportunities to Enrich Your Undergraduate Education” in the Undergraduate Catalog.
Neither completion of the freshman year in the Honors Program nor receipt of the General Honors Award is required for an Honors Degree or Honors Degree with Distinction. Students who complete an Honors Baccalaureate Degree receive a degree called “Honors Bachelor of Arts,” “Honors Bachelor of Music,” “Honors Bachelor of Science,” and so forth.
Honors Degree requirements are non-negotiable.
The Honors Degree is currently available in most colleges and departments (see list of approved Honors Degrees) and recognizes a student’s excellent performance in 30 credits of Honors coursework in and outside the primary major. The Honors Degree is listed on each student’s University of Delaware official transcript.
- A cumulative GPA of at least 3.400 at the time of graduation
- At least 30 credits earned in Honors courses:
- At least 12 credits in the major department or in courses in collateral disciplines specifically required for the major;
- At least 12 credits in 300-level courses or higher (for students entering prior to Fall 2016: this does not include the first-year interdisciplinary Honors colloquium);
- Three credits in an Honors Degree seminar or Honors Capstone Courses or comparable senior experience approved by the major and the Honors Program, to be completed in one of the last two semesters of the student’s degree program.
- Submission of the Honors Degree application webform* through UDSIS after the sophomore year.
- A minimum grade of C- is required in Honors courses counting toward the Honors Degree. Honors coursework taken Pass-Fail cannot count for the Honors Degree unless the course is only offered Pass-Fail.
Honors Degree with Distinction
The Honors Degree with Distinction recognizes the requirements for the Honors degree in addition to research. The Honors Degree with Distinction is listed on each student’s official transcript.
- All of the above requirements for the Honors Degree*
- Six credits of Honors thesis or project (UNIV 401/402) and the successful oral presentation of an acceptable thesis or project to a committee of faculty approved by the major department and the University of Delaware Honors Program
- Completion of any additional specifications for the thesis or project set by the major department
- A minimum grade of C- is required in Honors courses counting toward the Honors Degree with Distinction. Honors coursework taken Pass-Fail cannot count for the Honors Degree with Distinction unless the course is only offered Pass-Fail.
Note: Six credits of Honors thesis may be counted as part of the 30 Honors credits required for the Honors Degree. UNIV 402 satisfies the senior capstone requirement.
*More information on the application process will be sent in the spring of your sophomore year.