Amanda Abrom ’16, Global Schools Ambassador

Honors alumna Amanda Abrom took full advantage of the educational and extracurricular opportunities that UD had to offer while she was a student. As a double major in English and Economics, Amanda explored her interests in both writing and international policy. In the summer of 2013 Amanda embarked on her global journey by studying International Marketing and Development in Seville, Spain. Then in 2014, she spent the summer in Chile working as a journalist for I Love Chile News. She wrote 80 articles on a variety of topics, including sports, politics, and travel, and covered global events such as the 2014 World Cup and U.S. Judge Lisa Walsh’s Human Trafficking Conference. When she wasn’t traveling, Amanda was a Resident Assistant, she spent a year as the Honors Program communications intern, and served as a Writing Fellow for Honors English 110 classes.

Working on a past tense speaking activity in class – Liceo Benjamin Muñoz Gamero in Puerto Octay, Chile.

Upon graduation, Abrom took on a summer position as a Peer Mentor for a U.S. Department of State SUSI Women’s Institute sanctioned by the University of Delaware. She mentored 20 international students from Liberia, South Sudan, Zambia, Sierra Leone, and the Ivory Coast. She actively engaged the students through discussion, academic projects, and field trips to Philadelphia, New York City, and Washington, D.C. When the position ended, she returned to Chile where she served as an English Teacher for the Chilean Ministry of Education, teaching over 200 high school students in a Chilean public school. “Working with the students in the classroom was a highlight of my experience,” said Abrom. Most students were excited about learning English and Amanda’s approach helped motivate them.  “I tried to make my classes fun and incorporated games, activities, and prizes to engage the students,” she said.

Posing for a photo in the courtyard with the English debate team and school principal before heading to the regional debate competition, Liceo Benjamin Muñoz Gamero in Puerto Octay, Chile.

“It was truly a once in a lifetime experience and I couldn’t have asked for a better placement,” Abrom said. “I loved my school, the students, the teachers, and the town. I still remember the individual conversations I had with students and how they welcomed me into the school community. I can’t wait to go back someday.”

Celebrating the last day of sophomore classes with a party, music, and thank you notes, at Liceo Benjamin Muñoz Gamero in Puerto Octay, Chile.

Currently, Abrom is a Global Schools Ambassador (in-training) for the United Nations Sustainable Development Solutions Network Youth, a program that aims to transform schools into global environments and learning hubs by educating and engaging students, while also designing projects to increase their awareness on the UN’s sustainable development goals. Although she just recently began training to be an ambassador in October, she knows she can make a positive impact by implementing the knowledge she gained through her prior experiences working with international students.